Dielectric chiral metasurfaces for enhanced circular dichroism spectroscopy at near infrared regime.
Khaliq, Hafiz Saad
Mehmood, Muhammad Qasim
Massoud, Yehia Mahmoud
KAUST DepartmentInnovative Technologies Laboratories (ITL), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KASUT) Saudi Arabia
Electrical and Computer Engineering Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Science and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/692993
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNumerous applications of chiro-optical effects can be found in nanophotonics, including imaging and spin-selective absorption, particularly in sensing for separating and detecting chiral enantiomers. Flat single-layer metasurfaces composed of chiral or achiral sub-wavelength structures offer unique properties to manipulate the light due to their extraordinary light–matter interaction. However, at optical wavelengths, the generation of strong chirality is found to be challenging via conventional chiral metasurface approaches. This work intends to design and optimize a dielectric chiral meta-nano-surface based on a diatomic design strategy to comprehend giant chiro-optical effects in the near-infrared (NIR) regime for potential application in circular dichroism (CD) spectroscopy. Instead of using a single chiral structure that limits the CD value at optical wavelengths, the proposed metasurface used a diatomic (two meta-atoms with distinct geometric parameters) chiral structure as a building block to significantly enhance the chiro-optical effect. Combining both meta-atoms in a single periodicity of the building block introduces constructive and destructive interferences to attain the maximum circular dichroism value exceeding 75%. Moreover, using multipolar resonance theory, the physics behind the generation of giant chiro-optical effects have also been investigated. The proposed dielectric chiral meta-platform based on the extra degree of freedom can find application in compact integrated optical setups for CD spectroscopy, enantiomer separation and detection, spin-dependent color filters, and beam splitters.
CitationAli, A., Khaliq, H. S., Asad, A., Akbar, J., Zubair, M., Mehmood, M. Q., & Massoud, Y. (2023). Dielectric chiral metasurfaces for enhanced circular dichroism spectroscopy at near infrared regime. RSC Advances, 13(30), 20958–20965. https://doi.org/10.1039/d3ra02331a
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Archived with thanks to RSC advances under a Creative Commons license, details at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
- Chiral Bilayer All-Dielectric Metasurfaces.
- Authors: Tanaka K, Arslan D, Fasold S, Steinert M, Sautter J, Falkner M, Pertsch T, Decker M, Staude I
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 24
- Spin-Selective Transmission in Chiral Folded Metasurfaces.
- Authors: Yang S, Liu Z, Hu S, Jin AZ, Yang H, Zhang S, Li J, Gu C
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 12
- A dual band spin-selective transmission metasurface and its wavefront manipulation.
- Authors: Yue Z, Zheng C, Li J, Li J, Liu J, Wang G, Chen M, Xu H, Tan Q, Zhang H, Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Yao J
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 24
- Lossless dielectric metasurface with giant intrinsic chirality for terahertz wave.
- Authors: Li J, Li J, Zheng C, Yang Y, Yue Z, Hao X, Zhao H, Li F, Tang T, Wu L, Li J, Zhang Y, Yao J
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 30
- Diatomic terahertz metasurfaces for arbitrary-to-circular polarization conversion.
- Authors: Li H, Zheng C, Xu H, Li J, Song C, Li J, Wu L, Yang F, Zhang Y, Shi W, Yao J
- Issue date: 2022 Sep 15