Preferential Pyrolysis Construction of Carbon Anodes with 8400 h Lifespan for High-Energy-Density K-ion Batteries.
Angew Chem Int Ed - 2023 - Yin - Preferential Pyrolysis Construction of Carbon Anodes with 8400 h Lifespan for_removed.pdf
Embargo End Date:
Embargo End Date:
Emwas, Abdul-Hamid M.
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentKing Abdullah University of Science and Technology Physical Sciences and Engineering Division Materials Science and Engineering kaust, Thuwal, Kingdom of Saudi Arab 23955-690 Jeddah SAUDI ARABIA
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Center SAUDI ARABIA
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Core Labs SAUDI ARABIA
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Material Science and Engineering Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1317-01-01
Embargo End Date2024-03-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/690067
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCarbonaceous materials are promising anodes for practical potassium-ion batteries, but fail to meet the requirements for durability and high capacities at low potentials. Herein, we constructed a durable carbon anode for high-energy-density K-ion full cells by a preferential pyrolysis strategy. Utilizing S and N volatilization from a π-π stacked supermolecule, the preferential pyrolysis process introduces low-potential active sites of sp2 hybridized carbon and carbon vacancies, endowing a low-potential "vacancy-adsorption/intercalation" mechanism. The as-prepared carbon anode exhibits a high capacity of 384.2 mAh g-1 (90% capacity locates below 1 V vs. K/K+), which contributes to a high energy density of 163 Wh kg-1 of K-ion full battery. Moreover, abundant vacancies of carbon alleviate volume variation, boosting the cycling stability over 14,000 cycles (8,400 h). Our work provides a new synthesis approach for durable carbon anodes of K-ion full cells with high energy densities.
CitationYin, J., Jin, J., Chen, C., Lei, Y., Tian, Z., Wang, Y., Zhao, Z., Emwas, A.-H., Zhu, Y., Han, Y., Schwingenschlögl, U., Zhang, W., & Alshareef, H. N. (2023). Preferential Pyrolysis Construction of Carbon Anodes with 8400 h Lifespan for High-Energy-Density K-ion Batteries. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. Portico. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.202301396
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) ( BAS/1/1317-01-01).
- Direct Pyrolysis of Supermolecules: An Ultrahigh Edge-Nitrogen Doping Strategy of Carbon Anodes for Potassium-Ion Batteries.
- Authors: Zhang W, Yin J, Sun M, Wang W, Chen C, Altunkaya M, Emwas AH, Han Y, Schwingenschlögl U, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Defect Engineering of Disordered Carbon Anodes with Ultra-High Heteroatom Doping Through a Supermolecule-Mediated Strategy for Potassium-Ion Hybrid Capacitors.
- Authors: Zhao L, Sun S, Lin J, Zhong L, Chen L, Guo J, Yin J, Alshareef HN, Qiu X, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2023 Jan 27
- Ultra-High Pyridinic N-Doped Porous Carbon Monolith Enabling High-Capacity K-Ion Battery Anodes for Both Half-Cell and Full-Cell Applications.
- Authors: Xie Y, Chen Y, Liu L, Tao P, Fan M, Xu N, Shen X, Yan C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Homologous Strategy to Construct High-Performance Coupling Electrodes for Advanced Potassium-Ion Hybrid Capacitors.
- Authors: Xu Y, Ruan J, Pang Y, Sun H, Liang C, Li H, Yang J, Zheng S
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 30
- Boosting the potassium-ion storage performance enabled by engineering of hierarchical MoSSe nanosheets modified with carbon on porous carbon sphere.
- Authors: Cai M, Zhang H, Zhang Y, Xiao B, Wang L, Li M, Wu Y, Sa B, Liao H, Zhang L, Chen S, Peng DL, Wang MS, Zhang Q
- Issue date: 2022 May 15