Molten Salt Self-Template Synthesis Strategy of Oxygen-Rich Porous Carbon Cathodes for Zinc Ion Hybrid Capacitors.
Chodankar, Nilesh R
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Embargo End Date2023-09-16
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/681570
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPorous carbon materials are widely used in capacitive energy storage devices because of their chemical stability, low cost, and controllable textures. Molten salt self-template methods are powerful and sustainable synthesis strategies for preparing porous carbons with tunable pore textures and surface chemistries. Herein, we propose a self-template synthesis strategy for preparing oxygen-rich porous carbons (ORC) by directly carbonizing potassium chloroacetate (ClCH2COOK) as the single carbon source. The potassium chloride salts generated in the carbonization play the roles of the template and etchant agent in the pore formation process. The as-prepared ORC samples feature abundant mesopores (average pore sizes of 1.95–2.19 nm and mesopore ratio of 36.4%), high specific surface areas (1410–1886 m2 g–1), and high oxygen doping levels (4.3–8.2 atom %). The zinc ion hybrid capacitors with an ORC cathode exhibited an ultrahigh capacitance of 308 F g–1 at 0.5 A g–1 and a high energy density of 136.5 Wh kg–1 at a power density of 570 W kg–1. Density functional theory demonstrates that oxygen-containing functional groups are conducive to the adsorption of Zn ions. Our work proposes a general synthesis methodology for the synthesis of oxygen-rich porous carbons for a variety of electrochemical energy storage devices.
CitationZhao, L., Jian, W., Zhu, J., Zhang, X., Wen, F., Fei, X., Chen, L., Huang, S., Yin, J., Chodankar, N. R., Qiu, X., & Zhang, W. (2022). Molten Salt Self-Template Synthesis Strategy of Oxygen-Rich Porous Carbon Cathodes for Zinc Ion Hybrid Capacitors. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.2c13886
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (22108044), the Research and Development Program in Key Fields of Guangdong Province (2020B1111380002), the Basic Research and Applicable Basic Research in Guangzhou City (202201010290), and the financial support from the Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Plant Resources Biorefinery (2021GDKLPRB07)
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Sulfate template induced S/O doped carbon nanosheets enabling rich physi/chemi-sorption sites for high-performance zinc ion hybrid capacitors.
- Authors: Zhu C, Long R, Zhu L, Zou W, Zhang Y, Gao Z, Shi J, Tian W, Wu J, Wang H
- Issue date: 2023 Aug 19
- Optimized mesopores enable enhanced capacitance of electrochemical capacitors using ultrahigh surface area carbon derived from waste feathers.
- Authors: Bian Z, Wang H, Zhao X, Ni Z, Zhao G, Chen C, Hu G, Komarneni S
- Issue date: 2023 Jan 15
- 3D Porous Oxygen-Doped and Nitrogen-Doped Graphitic Carbons Derived from Metal Azolate Frameworks as Cathode and Anode Materials for High-Performance Dual-Carbon Sodium-Ion Hybrid Capacitors.
- Authors: Jung YM, Choi JH, Kim DW, Kang JK
- Issue date: 2023 Aug
- Sodium alginate-derived porous carbon: Self-template carbonization mechanism and application in capacitive energy storage.
- Authors: Liu L, Lu Y, Qiu D, Wang D, Ding Y, Wang G, Liang Z, Shen Z, Li A, Chen X, Song H
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 15
- Facile Synthesis of P-Doped Carbon Nanosheets as Janus Electrodes of Advanced Potassium-Ion Hybrid Capacitor.
- Authors: Zhong G, Lei S, Hu X, Ji Y, Liu Y, Yuan J, Li J, Zhan H, Wen Z
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 30