Life on the Urbach Edge.pdf
Embargo End Date:
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberIED OSR-2019-4208
Embargo End Date2023-08-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/680256
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Urbach energy is an expression of the static and dynamic disorder in a semiconductor and is directly accessible via optical characterization techniques. The strength of this metric is that it elegantly captures the optoelectronic performance potential of a semiconductor in a single number. For solar cells, the Urbach energy is found to be predictive of a material's minimal open-circuit-voltage deficit. Performance calculations considering the Urbach energy give more realistic power conversion efficiency limits than from classical Shockley-Queisser considerations. The Urbach energy is often also found to correlate well with the Stokes shift and (inversely) with the carrier mobility of a semiconductor. Here, we discuss key features, underlying physics, measurement techniques, and implications for device fabrication, underlining the utility of this metric.
CitationUgur, E., Ledinský, M., Allen, T. G., Holovský, J., Vlk, A., & De Wolf, S. (2022). Life on the Urbach Edge. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 7702–7711. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.2c01812
SponsorsThis publication is based upon work supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under award nos. OSR-CARF/CCF-3079, OSR-CRG2019-4093, OSR-CRG2020-4350, IED OSR-2019-4208, IED OSR-2019-4580, and REI/1/4833-01-01. J.H. acknowledges the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports grant no. CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/15_003/0000464 (Centre of Advanced Photovoltaics). M.L. and A.V. acknowledge grant no CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/16_026/0008382 (CARAT) and LUASK 22202. M.L., J.H., and A.V. also acknowledge the use of the CzechNanoLab research infrastructure supported by the MEYS (LM2018110).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Temperature Dependence of the Urbach Energy in Lead Iodide Perovskites.
- Authors: Ledinsky M, Schönfeldová T, Holovský J, Aydin E, Hájková Z, Landová L, Neyková N, Fejfar A, De Wolf S
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 21
- Urbach Energy and Open-Circuit Voltage Deficit for Mixed Anion-Cation Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Subedi B, Li C, Chen C, Liu D, Junda MM, Song Z, Yan Y, Podraza NJ
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 16
- Ideal Bandgap Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Yang Z, Rajagopal A, Jen AK
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- A universal Urbach rule for disordered organic semiconductors.
- Authors: Kaiser C, Sandberg OJ, Zarrabi N, Li W, Meredith P, Armin A
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 28
- Faradaic junction and isoenergetic charge transfer mechanism on semiconductor/semiconductor interfaces.
- Authors: Chen M, Dong H, Xue M, Yang C, Wang P, Yang Y, Zhu H, Wu C, Yao Y, Luo W, Zou Z
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 4