A catalogue of resistance gene homologs and a chromosome-scale reference sequence support resistance gene mapping in winter wheat
Plant Biotechnology Journal - 2022 - Kale - A catalogue of resistance gene homologs and a chromosome‐scale reference.pdf
Microsoft Excel 2007
AuthorsKale, Sandip M
Schulthess, Albert W
Boeven, Philipp H G
Wulff, Brande B H
Reif, Jochen C
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/677871
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA resistance gene atlas is an integral component of the breeder's arsenal in the fight against evolving pathogens. Thanks to high-throughput sequencing, catalogues of resistance genes can be assembled even in crop species with large and polyploid genomes. Here, we report on capture sequencing and assembly of resistance gene homologs in a diversity panel of 907 winter wheat genotypes comprising ex situ genebank accessions and current elite cultivars. In addition, we use accurate long-read sequencing and chromosome conformation capture sequencing to construct a chromosome-scale genome sequence assembly of cv. Attraktion, an elite variety representative of European winter wheat. We illustrate the value of our resource for breeders and geneticists by (i) comparing the resistance gene complements in plant genetic resources and elite varieties and (ii) conducting genome-wide associations scans (GWAS) for the fungal diseases yellow rust and leaf rust using reference-based and reference-free GWAS approaches. The gene content under GWAS peaks was scrutinized in the assembly of cv. Attraktion.
CitationKale, S. M., Schulthess, A. W., Padmarasu, S., Boeven, P. H. G., Schacht, J., Himmelbach, A., Steuernagel, B., Wulff, B. B. H., Reif, J. C., Stein, N., & Mascher, M. (2022). A catalogue of resistance gene homologs and a chromosome-scale reference sequence support resistance gene mapping in winter wheat. Plant Biotechnology Journal. Portico. https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.13843
SponsorsOur research was supported by a grant from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) in frame of the project GeneBank2.0 (grant nos. FKZ031B0184B and FKZ031B0184A). Open-access fees were partially covered by a grant from the German Research Foundation (DFG, grant HE 9114/1-1). We thank Susanne König, Jacqueline Pohl, Ines Walde, Manuela Knauft, Mary Ziems, Christoph Martin, Jelena Perovic and Johannes Schneider for technical assistance. We are grateful to Anne Fiebig and Daniel Arend for their support in data submission.
JournalPlant biotechnology journal
- Genome-wide association mapping for stripe rust (Puccinia striiformis F. sp. tritici) in US Pacific Northwest winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.).
- Authors: Naruoka Y, Garland-Campbell KA, Carter AH
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Genetic Architecture of Resistance to Stripe Rust in a Global Winter Wheat Germplasm Collection.
- Authors: Bulli P, Zhang J, Chao S, Chen X, Pumphrey M
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 9
- Characterization of molecular diversity and genome-wide mapping of loci associated with resistance to stripe rust and stem rust in Ethiopian bread wheat accessions.
- Authors: Muleta KT, Rouse MN, Rynearson S, Chen X, Buta BG, Pumphrey MO
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 4
- Genome-wide association mapping for seedling and field resistance to Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici in elite durum wheat.
- Authors: Liu W, Maccaferri M, Bulli P, Rynearson S, Tuberosa R, Chen X, Pumphrey M
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Genotype Imputation in Winter Wheat Using First-Generation Haplotype Map SNPs Improves Genome-Wide Association Mapping and Genomic Prediction of Traits.
- Authors: Nyine M, Wang S, Kiani K, Jordan K, Liu S, Byrne P, Haley S, Baenziger S, Chao S, Bowden R, Akhunov E
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 9