Selective multiple analyte detection using multi-mode excitation of a MEMS resonator
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/676316
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis work reports highly selective multiple analyte detection by exploiting two different mechanisms; absorption and thermal conductivity using a single MEMS device. To illustrate the concept, we utilize a resonator composed of a clamped-guided arch beam connected to a flexural beam and a T-shaped moveable mass. A finite element model is used to study the mode shapes and mechanical behavior of the device with good agreement reported with the experimental data. The resonator displays two distinct out-of-plane modes of vibration. For humidity detection, we utilize physisorption by functionalizing the surface with graphene oxide (GO), which has strong affinity toward water vapors. The GO solution is prepared and drop-casted over the mass surface using an inkjet printer. On the other hand, cooling the heated flexural beams is used for helium (He) detection (thermal-conductivity-based sensor). The sensor characteristics are extensively studied when the modes are individually and simultaneously actuated. Results affirm the successful utilization of each mode for selective detection of relative humidity and He. This novel mode-dependent selective detection of multiple analytes can be a promising building block for the development of miniature, low-powered, and selective smart sensors for modern portable electronic devices.
CitationYaqoob, U., Jaber, N., Alcheikh, N., & Younis, M. I. (2022). Selective multiple analyte detection using multi-mode excitation of a MEMS resonator. Scientific Reports, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-09365-9
SponsorsThis publication is based upon work supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
PubMed Central IDPMC8964735
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Archived with thanks to Scientific reports under a Creative Commons license, details at: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0
- Technique and Circuit for Contactless Readout of Piezoelectric MEMS Resonator Sensors.
- Authors: Baù M, Ferrari M, Begum H, Ali A, Lee JE, Ferrari V
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 19
- Anti-Symmetric Mode Vibration of Electrostatically Actuated Clamped-Clamped Microbeams for Mass Sensing.
- Authors: Li L, Zhang YP, Ma CC, Liu CC, Peng B
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 19
- Highly Sensitive Temperature Sensor Based on Coupled-Beam AlN-on-Si MEMS Resonators Operating in Out-of-Plane Flexural Vibration Modes.
- Authors: Tu C, Yang MH, Zhang ZQ, Lv XM, Li L, Zhang XS
- Issue date: 2022
- The effect of a distributed mass loading on the frequency response of a MEMS mesh resonator.
- Authors: Bartkovsky MJ, Liao A, Fedder GK, Przybycien TM, Hauan S
- Issue date: 2006
- A Study on Parametric Amplification in a Piezoelectric MEMS Device.
- Authors: Gonzalez M, Lee Y
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 29