Ridge Penalization in High-Dimensional Testing With Applications to Imaging Genetics
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Science and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/676227
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-dimensionality is ubiquitous in various scientific fields such as imaging genetics, where a deluge of functional and structural data on brain-relevant genetic polymorphisms are investigated. It is crucial to identify which genetic variations are consequential in identifying neurological features of brain connectivity compared to merely random noise. Statistical inference in high-dimensional settings poses multiple challenges involving analytical and computational complexity. A widely implemented strategy in addressing inference goals is penalized inference. In particular, the role of the ridge penalty in high-dimensional prediction and estimation has been actively studied in the past several years. This study focuses on ridge-penalized tests in high-dimensional hypothesis testing problems by proposing and examining a class of methods for choosing the optimal ridge penalty. We present our findings on strategies to improve the statistical power of ridge-penalized tests and what determines the optimal ridge penalty for hypothesis testing. The application of our work to an imaging genetics study and biological research will be presented.
CitationGauran, I. I., Xue, G., Chen, C., Ombao, H., & Yu, Z. (2022). Ridge Penalization in High-Dimensional Testing With Applications to Imaging Genetics. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 16. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2022.836100
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in neuroscience
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Archived with thanks to Frontiers in neuroscience under a Creative Commons license, details at: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Ridge-penalized adaptive Mantel test and its application in imaging genetics.
- Authors: Pluta D, Shen T, Xue G, Chen C, Ombao H, Yu Z
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 30
- A ridge penalized principal-components approach based on heritability for high-dimensional data.
- Authors: Wang Y, Fang Y, Jin M
- Issue date: 2007
- Designing penalty functions in high dimensional problems: The role of tuning parameters.
- Authors: Chen TH, Sun W, Fine JP
- Issue date: 2016
- Incorporating scientific knowledge into phenotype development: penalized latent class regression.
- Authors: Leoutsakos JM, Bandeen-Roche K, Garrett-Mayer E, Zandi PP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 30
- Elastic SCAD as a novel penalization method for SVM classification tasks in high-dimensional data.
- Authors: Becker N, Toedt G, Lichter P, Benner A
- Issue date: 2011 May 9