Quantitative and Multiplex Detection of Extracellular Vesicle-derived microRNA via Rolling Circle Amplification within Encoded Hydrogel Microparticles
KAUST DepartmentDivision of Physical Science and Engineering King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Thuwal 23955-6900 Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Embargo End Date2023-01-14
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/674959
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracellular vesicle-derived microRNA (EV-miRNA) represent a promising cancer biomarker for disease diagnosis and monitoring. However, existing techniques to detect EV-miRNA rely on complex, bias-prone strategies and preprocessing steps, making absolute quantification highly challenging. This work demonstrates the development and application of a method for quantitative and multiplex detection of EV-miRNA, via rolling circle amplification within encoded hydrogel particles. By a one-pot extracellular vesicle (EV) lysis and microRNA capture step, we avoid the bias and losses associated with standard RNA extraction techniques. The system offers a large dynamic range (3 orders of magnitude), ease of multiplexing, and a limit of detection down to 2.3 zmol (46 aM), demonstrating its utility in clinical applications based on liquid biopsy tests. Furthermore, orthogonal measurements of EV concentrations coupled with the direct, absolute quantification of miRNA in biological samples results in quantitative measurements of miRNA copy numbers per volume sample, and per extracellular vesicle. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationAl-Sulaiman, D., Juthani, N., & Doyle, P. S. (2022). Quantitative and Multiplex Detection of Extracellular Vesicle-derived microRNA via Rolling Circle Amplification within Encoded Hydrogel Microparticles. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2102332. doi:10.1002/adhm.202102332
JournalAdvanced Healthcare Materials
- Ultrasensitive multiplexed microRNA quantification on encoded gel microparticles using rolling circle amplification.
- Authors: Chapin SC, Doyle PS
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 15
- An integrated workflow for biomarker development using microRNAs in extracellular vesicles for cancer precision medicine.
- Authors: Chen Y, Wu T, Zhu Z, Huang H, Zhang L, Goel A, Yang M, Wang X
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Polymer-Based Precipitation of Extracellular Vesicular miRNAs from Serum Improve Gastric Cancer miRNA Biomarker Performance.
- Authors: Chung KY, Quek JM, Neo SH, Too HP
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Impact of Extracellular Vesicle Isolation Methods on Downstream Mirna Analysis in Semen: A Comparative Study.
- Authors: Mercadal M, Herrero C, López-Rodrigo O, Castells M, de la Fuente A, Vigués F, Bassas L, Larriba S
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 19
- Single-step RT-qPCR for detection of extracellular vesicle microRNAs in vivo: a time- and cost-effective method.
- Authors: Lee H, He X, Le T, Carnino JM, Jin Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1