Paenibacillus piscarius sp. nov., a novel nitrogen-fixing species isolated from the gut of the armored catfish Parotocinclus maculicauda.
Authorsda Silva, Mariana Barbalho Farias
Lemos, Ericka Arregue
Vollú, Renata E
Rosado, Alexandre S.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Embargo End Date2023-01-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/674064
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA Gram-positive, nitrogen-fixing and endospore-forming strain, designated P121T, was isolated from the gut of the armored catfish (Parotocinclus maculicauda) and identified as a member of the genus Paenibacillus based on the sequences of the 16S rRNA encoding gene, rpoB, gyrB and nifH genes and phenotypic analyses. The most closely related species to strain P121T were Paenibacillus rhizoplanae DSM 103993T, Paenibacillus silagei DSM 101953T and Paenibacillus borealis DSM 13188T, with similarity values of 98.9, 98.3 and 97.6%, respectively, based on 16S rRNA gene sequences. Genome sequencing revealed a genome size of 7,513,698 bp, DNA G + C content of 53.9 mol% and the presence of the structural nitrogenase encoding genes (nifK, nifD and nifH) and of other nif genes necessary for nitrogen fixation. Digital DNA-DNA hybridization (dDDH) experiments and average nucleotide identity (ANI) analyses between strain P121T and the type strains of the closest species demonstrated that the highest values were below the thresholds of 70% dDDH (42.3% with P. borealis) and 95% ANI (84.28% with P. silagei) for bacterial species delineation, indicating that strain P121T represents a distinct species. Its major cellular fatty acid was anteiso-C15:0 (42.4%), and the major isoprenoid quinone was MK-7. Based on physiological, genomic, biochemical and chemotaxonomic characteristics, we propose that strain P121T represents a novel species for which the name Paenibacillus piscarius sp. nov. is proposed (type strain = DSM 25072 = LFB-Fiocruz 1636).
CitationDa Silva, M. B. F., Lemos, E. A., Vollú, R. E., Abreu, F., Rosado, A. S., & Seldin, L. (2022). Paenibacillus piscarius sp. nov., a novel nitrogen-fixing species isolated from the gut of the armored catfish Parotocinclus maculicauda. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. doi:10.1007/s10482-021-01694-5
SponsorsThis study was supported by grants from Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq), Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES, financial code 001) and Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ).
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
JournalAntonie van Leeuwenhoek
- Paenibacillus sinensis sp. nov., a nitrogen-fixing species isolated from plant rhizospheres.
- Authors: Li Q, Li Y, Liu X, Chen S
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Paenibacillus helianthi sp. nov., a nitrogen fixing species isolated from the rhizosphere of Helianthus annuus L.
- Authors: Ambrosini A, Sant'Anna FH, Heinzmann J, de Carvalho Fernandes G, Bach E, Passaglia LMP
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Paenibacillus jilunlii sp. nov., a nitrogen-fixing species isolated from the rhizosphere of Begonia semperflorens.
- Authors: Jin HJ, Zhou YG, Liu HC, Chen SF
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Paenibacillus lycopersici sp. nov. and Paenibacillus rhizovicinus sp. nov., isolated from the rhizosphere of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum).
- Authors: Lee SA, Kim TW, Heo J, Sang MK, Song J, Kwon SW, Weon HY
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- <i>Paenibacillus apii</i> sp. nov., a novel <i>nifH</i> gene-harbouring species isolated from the rhizospheres of vegetable plants grown in different regions of northern China.
- Authors: Tong S, Wang LW, Sun YC, Khan MS, Gao JL, Sun JG
- Issue date: 2020 Oct