Strategies for engineering improved nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants via redistribution and recycling of organic nitrogen
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
The Salt Lab
Online Publication Date2021-09-22
Print Publication Date2022-02
Embargo End Date2022-09-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/672009
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGlobal use of nitrogen (N) fertilizers has increased sevenfold from 1960 to 1995 but much of the N applied is lost to the environment. Modifying the temporal and spatial distribution of organic N within the plant can lead to improved grain yield and/or grain protein content for the same or reduced N fertilizer inputs. Biotechnological approaches to modify whole plant distribution of amino acids and ureides has proven successful in several crop species. Manipulating selective autophagy pathways in crops has also improved N remobilization efficiency to sink tissues whilst the contribution of ribophagy, RNA and purine catabolism to N recycling in crops is still too early to foretell. Improved recycling and remobilization of N must exploit N-stress responsive transcriptional regulators, N-sensing or phloem-localized promotors and genetic variation for N-responsive traits.
CitationMelino, V. J., Tester, M. A., & Okamoto, M. (2022). Strategies for engineering improved nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants via redistribution and recycling of organic nitrogen. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 73, 263–269. doi:10.1016/j.copbio.2021.09.003
SponsorsWe thank King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for funding this work. We also thank the ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub for Wheat in a Hot and Dry Climate at the Waite Research Institute of the University of Adelaide.
JournalCurrent Opinion in Biotechnology
- Nitrogen remobilization during leaf senescence: lessons from Arabidopsis to crops.
- Authors: Havé M, Marmagne A, Chardon F, Masclaux-Daubresse C
- Issue date: 2017 May 1
- The Genetics of Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Crop Plants.
- Authors: Han M, Okamoto M, Beatty PH, Rothstein SJ, Good AG
- Issue date: 2015
- Urea metabolism in plants.
- Authors: Witte CP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Improving Crop Nitrogen Use Efficiency Toward Sustainable Green Revolution.
- Authors: Liu Q, Wu K, Song W, Zhong N, Wu Y, Fu X
- Issue date: 2022 May 20
- The challenge of improving nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants: towards a more central role for genetic variability and quantitative genetics within integrated approaches.
- Authors: Hirel B, Le Gouis J, Ney B, Gallais A
- Issue date: 2007