Plant genome engineering from lab to field—a Keystone Symposia report
Ronald, Pamela C.
Levy, Avraham A.
Jacobsen, Steven E.
Van Eck, Joyce
Mahfouz, Magdy M.
KAUST DepartmentPlant Science
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Embargo End Date2022-08-25
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670842
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFacing the challenges of the world's food sources posed by a growing global population and a warming climate will require improvements in plant breeding and technology. Enhancing crop resiliency and yield via genome engineering will undoubtedly be a key part of the solution. The advent of new tools, such as CRIPSR/Cas, has ushered in significant advances in plant genome engineering. However, several serious challenges remain in achieving this goal. Among them are efficient transformation and plant regeneration for most crop species, low frequency of some editing applications, and high attrition rates. On March 8 and 9, 2021, experts in plant genome engineering and breeding from academia and industry met virtually for the Keystone eSymposium "Plant Genome Engineering: From Lab to Field" to discuss advances in genome editing tools, plant transformation, plant breeding, and crop trait development, all vital for transferring the benefits of novel technologies to the field.
CitationCable, J., Ronald, P. C., Voytas, D., Zhang, F., Levy, A. A., Takatsuka, A., … Bagchi, R. (2021). Plant genome engineering from lab to field—a Keystone Symposia report. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. doi:10.1111/nyas.14675
- Plant Genome Engineering for Targeted Improvement of Crop Traits.
- Authors: Sedeek KEM, Mahas A, Mahfouz M
- Issue date: 2019
- Evolution and Application of Genome Editing Techniques for Achieving Food and Nutritional Security.
- Authors: Fiaz S, Ahmar S, Saeed S, Riaz A, Mora-Poblete F, Jung KH
- Issue date: 2021 May 25
- Emerging Genome Engineering Tools in Crop Research and Breeding.
- Authors: Bilichak A, Gaudet D, Laurie J
- Issue date: 2020
- CRISPR/Cas Genome Editing and Precision Plant Breeding in Agriculture.
- Authors: Chen K, Wang Y, Zhang R, Zhang H, Gao C
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 29
- Nanotechnology to advance CRISPR-Cas genetic engineering of plants.
- Authors: Demirer GS, Silva TN, Jackson CT, Thomas JB, W Ehrhardt D, Rhee SY, Mortimer JC, Landry MP
- Issue date: 2021 Mar