Ionic Functionalization of Multivariate Covalent Organic Frameworks to Achieve Exceptionally High Iodine Capture Capacity.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Chemical Engineering Program
Embargo End Date2022-08-25
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670840
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdsorption-based iodine (I 2 ) capture is of great potential for the treatment of radioactive nuclear waste. Here we employ a "multivariate" synthetic strategy to construct ionic covalent organic frameworks (iCOFs) with large surface area, high pore volume, and abundant binding sites for I 2 capture. The optimized material iCOF-AB-50 exhibits static I 2 uptake capacity of 10.21 g·g -1 at 75 °C, and dynamic uptake capacity of 2.79 g·g -1 at ~400 ppm of I 2 and 25 °C, far exceeding the performances of previously reported adsorbents under similar conditions. It also shows fast adsorption kinetics, good moisture tolerance, and full reusability. The promoting effect of ionic groups on I 2 adsorption has been elucidated by experimentally identifying the iodine species adsorbed at different sites and calculating their binding energies. This work demonstrates the essential role of balancing the textural properties and binding sites of the adsorbent in achieving high I 2 capture performance.
CitationXie, Y., Pan, T., Lei, Q., Chen, C., Dong, X., Yuan, Y., … Han, Y. (2021). Ionic Functionalization of Multivariate Covalent Organic Frameworks to Achieve Exceptionally High Iodine Capture Capacity. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202108522
- The water-based synthesis of chemically stable Zr-based MOFs using pyridine-containing ligands and their exceptionally high adsorption capacity for iodine.
- Authors: Wang Z, Huang Y, Yang J, Li Y, Zhuang Q, Gu J
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 13
- Iodine Adsorption in Metal Organic Frameworks in the Presence of Humidity.
- Authors: Banerjee D, Chen X, Lobanov SS, Plonka AM, Chan X, Daly JA, Kim T, Thallapally PK, Parise JB
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 4
- Tetrathiafulvalene-based covalent organic frameworks for ultrahigh iodine capture.
- Authors: Chang J, Li H, Zhao J, Guan X, Li C, Yu G, Valtchev V, Yan Y, Qiu S, Fang Q
- Issue date: 2021 May 13
- Theoretical Screening and Experimental Synthesis of Ultrahigh-Iodine Capture Covalent Organic Frameworks.
- Authors: Song S, Shi Y, Liu N, Liu F
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 3
- Construction of hydrophobic interface on natural biomaterials for higher efficient and reversible radioactive iodine adsorption in water.
- Authors: Zheng B, Liu X, Hu J, Wang F, Hu X, Zhu Y, Lv X, Du J, Xiao D
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 15