Towards rainbow photo/electro-luminescence in copper(I) complexes with the versatile bridged bis-pyridyl ancillary ligand.
AuthorsMahoro, Gilbert Umuhire
di Nasso, Davide
Costa, Rubén D
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2022-07-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670271
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe synthesis and characterization of a family of copper(i) complexes bearing a bridged bis-pyridyl ancillary ligand is reported, highlighting how the bridge nature impacts the photo- and electro-luminescent behaviours within the family. In particular, the phosphonium bridge led to copper(i) complexes featuring good electrochemical stability and high ionic conductivity, as well as a stark blue-to-orange luminescence shift compared to the others. This resulted in high performance light-emitting electrochemical cells reaching stabilities of 10 mJ at ca. 40 cd m-2 that are one order of magnitude higher than those of the other complexes. Overall, this work sheds light onto the crucial role of the bridge nature of the bis-pyridyl ancillary ligand on the photophysical features, film forming and, in turn, on the final device performances.
CitationMahoro, G. U., Fresta, E., Elie, M., di Nasso, D., Zhang, Q., Lohier, J.-F., … Gaillard, S. (2021). Towards rainbow photo/electro-luminescence in copper(i) complexes with the versatile bridged bis-pyridyl ancillary ligand. Dalton Transactions. doi:10.1039/d1dt01689j
SponsorsThis work was supported by the “Ministère de la Recherche et des Nouvelles Technologies”, CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) and the LABEX SynOrg (ANR-11-LABX-0029). S. G. acknowledges the “Région Normandie” (M.E.) and Normandie University (G.U.M.) for their fundings. R. D. C. acknowledges the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation FET-OPEN under grant agreement ARTIBLED No. 863170, the ERC-Co InOutBioLight No. 816856, and the MSCA-ITN STiBNite No. 956923. J.C.G. and R.W. acknowledge support by the Spanish Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades (project RTI2018-097508-B-I00), as well as support from the European Union structural funds and the Comunidad de Madrid (Project S2018/NMT-4511). IMDEA Nanociencia acknowledges support from the “Severo Ochoa” Programme for Centres of Excellence in R&D (MINECO, grant SEV-2016-0686). M.L. thanks SeRC (Swedish e-Science Research Center) for funding and SNIC (Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing) for computing resources.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- σ-Hammett parameter: a strategy to enhance both photo- and electro-luminescence features of heteroleptic copper(i) complexes.
- Authors: Weber MD, Viciano-Chumillas M, Armentano D, Cano J, Costa RD
- Issue date: 2017 May 16
- Synthesis, characterization, and photophysical and electroluminescent properties of blue-emitting cationic iridium(III) complexes bearing nonconjugated ligands.
- Authors: Zhang F, Ma D, Duan L, Qiao J, Dong G, Wang L, Qiu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 7
- Origin of a counterintuitive yellow light-emitting electrochemical cell based on a blue-emitting heteroleptic copper(i) complex.
- Authors: Weber MD, Garino C, Volpi G, Casamassa E, Milanesio M, Barolo C, Costa RD
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 7
- Synthesis, crystal structures and photo- and electro-luminescence of copper(I) complexes containing electron-transporting diaryl-1,3,4-oxadiazole.
- Authors: Yu T, Liu P, Chai H, Kang J, Zhao Y, Zhang H, Fan D
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Designing NHC-Copper(I) Dipyridylamine Complexes for Blue Light-Emitting Electrochemical Cells.
- Authors: Elie M, Sguerra F, Di Meo F, Weber MD, Marion R, Grimault A, Lohier JF, Stallivieri A, Brosseau A, Pansu RB, Renaud JL, Linares M, Hamel M, Costa RD, Gaillard S
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 15