Re-infection with different SARS-CoV-2 clade and prolonged viral shedding in a patient with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: SARS-CoV-2 Re-infection with different clade.
AuthorsAlshukairi, Abeer N
El-Kafrawy, Sherif A
Yamani, Amani H
Saeedi, Mohammed F
AlJohani, Naif I
Bahaudden, Husam A
Alandijany, Thamir A
Othman, Norah A
Alsubhi, Tagreed L
Hassan, Ahmed M
Tolah, Ahmed M
Al-Tawfiq, Jaffar A
Azhar, Esam I
KAUST DepartmentBioscience Program
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Embargo End Date2023-07-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670268
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunocompromised patients who have SARS-CoV-2 infection pose many clinical and public health challenges. We describe a patient with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and lymphoma with protracted illness requiring 3 consecutive hospital admissions. Whole genome sequencing confirmed two different SARS-CoV-2 clades. Clinical management issues, and unanswered questions arising are discussed.
CitationAlshukairi, A. N., El-Kafrawy, S. A., Dada, A., Yasir, M., Yamani, A. H., Saeedi, M. F., … Azhar, E. I. (2021). Re-infection with different SARS-CoV-2 clade and prolonged viral shedding in a patient with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2021.07.036
SponsorsSir Zumla is co-Principal Investigator of the Pan African-European Network on Emerging and Re-Emerging Infections (PANDORA-ID-NET–https://www.pandora-id.net/) funded by the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership the EU Horizon 2020 Framework Programme. Sir Zumla is in receipt of a UK National Institutes of Health Research senior investigator award and is a 2020 Mahathir Science Award Laurette. The authors acknowledge the generous charitable donation from the late Sheikh Ibraheem Ahmed Azhar in the form of reagents and supplies as a contribution to the scientific research community.
JournalInternational journal of infectious diseases : IJID : official publication of the International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Impact of SARS-CoV-2 in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cell Therapy Recipients.
- Authors: Mushtaq MU, Shahzad M, Chaudhary SG, Luder M, Ahmed N, Abdelhakim H, Bansal R, Balusu R, DeJarnette S, Divine C, Kribs R, Shune L, Singh AK, Ganguly S, Abhyankar SH, McGuirk JP
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Prolonged shedding of SARS-CoV-2 in an elderly liver transplant patient infected by COVID-19: a case report.
- Authors: Wei L, Liu B, Zhao Y, Chen Z
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Differences of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Shedding Duration in Sputum and Nasopharyngeal Swab Specimens Among Adult Inpatients With Coronavirus Disease 2019.
- Authors: Wang K, Zhang X, Sun J, Ye J, Wang F, Hua J, Zhang H, Shi T, Li Q, Wu X
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Prolonged viral shedding in a lymphoma patient with COVID-19 infection receiving convalescent plasma.
- Authors: Karataş A, İnkaya AÇ, Demiroğlu H, Aksu S, Haziyev T, Çınar OE, Alp A, Uzun Ö, Sayınalp N, Göker H
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Factors Associated With Prolonged Viral RNA Shedding in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Authors: Xu K, Chen Y, Yuan J, Yi P, Ding C, Wu W, Li Y, Ni Q, Zou R, Li X, Xu M, Zhang Y, Zhao H, Zhang X, Yu L, Su J, Lang G, Liu J, Wu X, Guo Y, Tao J, Shi D, Yu L, Cao Q, Ruan B, Liu L, Wang Z, Xu Y, Liu Y, Sheng J, Li L
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 28