Isolation, characterization, anti‑MRSA evaluation, and in‑silico multi‑target anti‑microbial validations of actinomycin X2 and actinomycin D produced by novel Streptomyces smyrnaeus UKAQ_23
AuthorsQureshi, Kamal A
Bholay, Avinash D
Rai, Pankaj K
Mohammed, Hamdoon A
Khan, Riaz A
Emwas, Abdul-Hamid M.
Ragab, Ehab A
Elhassan, Gamal O
Anwar, Md Jamir
Prajapati, Dinesh K
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670254
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStreptomyces smyrnaeus UKAQ_23, isolated from the mangrove-sediment, collected from Jubail,Saudi Arabia, exhibited substantial antimicrobial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), including non-MRSA Gram-positive test bacteria. The novel isolate, under laboratory-scale conditions, produced the highest yield (561.3 ± 0.3 mg/kg fermented agar) of antimicrobial compounds in modified ISP-4 agar at pH 6.5, temperature 35 °C, inoculum 5% v/w, agar 1.5% w/v, and an incubation period of 7 days. The two major compounds, K1 and K2, were isolated from fermented medium and identified as Actinomycin X2 and Actinomycin D, respectively, based on their structural analysis. The antimicrobial screening showed that Actinomycin X2 had the highest antimicrobial activity compared to Actinomycin D, and the actinomycins-mixture (X2:D, 1:1, w/w) against MRSA and non-MRSA Gram-positive test bacteria, at 5 µg/disc concentrations. The MIC of Actinomycin X2 ranged from 1.56–12.5 µg/ml for non-MRSA and 3.125–12.5 µg/ml for MRSA test bacteria. An in-silico molecular docking demonstrated isoleucyl tRNA synthetase as the most-favored antimicrobial protein target for both actinomycins, X2 and D, while the penicillin-binding protein-1a, was the least-favorable target-protein. In conclusion, Streptomyces smyrnaeus UKAQ_23 emerged as a promising source of Actinomycin X2 with the potential to be scaled up for industrial production, which could benefit the pharmaceutical industry.
CitationQureshi, K. A., Bholay, A. D., Rai, P. K., Mohammed, H. A., Khan, R. A., Azam, F., … Prajapati, D. K. (2021). Isolation, characterization, anti-MRSA evaluation, and in-silico multi-target anti-microbial validations of actinomycin X2 and actinomycin D produced by novel Streptomyces smyrnaeus UKAQ_23. Scientific Reports, 11(1). doi:10.1038/s41598-021-93285-7
SponsorsResearchers would like to thank the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia for providing the financial support. The authors also extend their thanks to the College of Pharmacy, Main Campus, and Unaizah College of Pharmacy, Qassim University, Saudi Arabia, and Faculty of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Invertis University, Bareilly, UP, India for technical support. The authors are also grateful to Andrzej Reszka (Shim-Pol, Poland) for providing the Shimadzu LCMS-IT-TOF and LCMS 9030 Q-TOF instruments.
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
PubMed Central IDPMC8282855
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article's Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article's Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.
- <i>In Vitro</i> and <i>In Silico</i> Approaches for the Antileishmanial Activity Evaluations of Actinomycins Isolated from Novel <i>Streptomyces smyrnaeus</i> Strain UKAQ_23.
- Authors: Qureshi KA, Al Nasr I, Koko WS, Khan TA, Fatmi MQ, Imtiaz M, Khan RA, Mohammed HA, Jaremko M, Emwas AH, Azam F, Bholay AD, Elhassan GO, Prajapati DK
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 21
- Purification and characterization of actinomycins from Streptomyces strain M7 active against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin resistant Enterococcus.
- Authors: Sharma M, Manhas RK
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 19
- Identification, Bioactivity, and Productivity of Actinomycins from the Marine-Derived <i>Streptomyces heliomycini</i>.
- Authors: Wang D, Wang C, Gui P, Liu H, Khalaf SMH, Elsayed EA, Wadaan MAM, Hozzein WN, Zhu W
- Issue date: 2017
- Anti-MRSA Activity of Actinomycin X<sub>2</sub> and Collismycin A Produced by <i>Streptomyces globisporus</i> WA5-2-37 From the Intestinal Tract of American Cockroach (<i>Periplaneta americana</i>).
- Authors: Chen Z, Ou P, Liu L, Jin X
- Issue date: 2020
- A marine-derived Streptomyces sp. MS449 produces high yield of actinomycin X2 and actinomycin D with potent anti-tuberculosis activity.
- Authors: Chen C, Song F, Wang Q, Abdel-Mageed WM, Guo H, Fu C, Hou W, Dai H, Liu X, Yang N, Xie F, Yu K, Chen R, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2012 Aug