Enhanced-Performance Self-Powered Solar-Blind UV-C Photodetector Based on n-ZnO Quantum Dots Functionalized by p-CuO Micro-pyramids
AuthorsAlwadai, Norah M.
Hedhili, Mohamed N.
Roqan, Iman S.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Physical Sciences and Engineering Division, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1319-01-01
Embargo End Date2022-07-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/670105
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmart solar-blind UV-C band photodetectors suffer from low responsivity in a self-powered mode. Here, we address this issue by fabricating a novel enhanced solar-blind UV-C photodetector array based on solution-processed n-ZnO quantum dots (QDs) functionalized by p-CuO micro-pyramids. Self-assembled catalyst-free p-CuO micro-pyramid arrays are fabricated on a pre-ablated Si substrate by pulsed laser deposition without a need for a catalyst layer or seeding, while the solution-processed n-ZnO QDs are synthesized by the femtosecond-laser ablation in liquid technique. The photodetector is fabricated by spray-coating ZnO QDs on a CuO micro-pyramid array. The photodetector performance is optimized via a p-n junction structure as both p-ZnO QDs and p-CuO micro-pyramid layers are characterized by wide band gap energies. Two photodetectors (with and without CuO micro-pyramids) are fabricated to show the role of p-CuO in enhancing the device performance. The n-ZnO QD/p-CuO micro-pyramid/Si photodetector is characterized by a superior photo-responsivity of ∼956 mA/W at 244 nm with a faster photoresponse (<80 ms) and 260 nm cut-off compared to ZnO QDs/Si photodetectors, confirming that the p-CuO micro-pyramids enhance the device performance. The self-powered photoresponse with a high photo-responsivity of ∼29 mA/W is demonstrated. These high-responsivity solar-bind UV-C photodetector arrays can be used for a wide range of applications.
CitationAlwadai, N., Mitra, S., Hedhili, M. N., Alamoudi, H., Xin, B., Alaal, N., & Roqan, I. S. (2021). Enhanced-Performance Self-Powered Solar-Blind UV-C Photodetector Based on n-ZnO Quantum Dots Functionalized by p-CuO Micro-pyramids. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. doi:10.1021/acsami.1c03424
SponsorsThe authors thank KAUST for financial support. This work was supported by the base fund (BAS/1/1319-01-01). N.A. and I.S.R. gratefully acknowledge the supercomputing facility at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology(KAUST) for providing the computational resources to carry out this research work.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- An ultrahigh responsivity self-powered solar-blind photodetector based on a centimeter-sized β-Ga<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub>/polyaniline heterojunction.
- Authors: Wang Y, Li L, Wang H, Su L, Chen H, Bian W, Ma J, Li B, Liu Z, Shen A
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 23
- Self-Powered Photodetectors Based on Core-Shell ZnO-Co<sub>3</sub>O<sub>4</sub> Nanowire Heterojunctions.
- Authors: Ghamgosar P, Rigoni F, Kohan MG, You S, Morales EA, Mazzaro R, Morandi V, Almqvist N, Concina I, Vomiero A
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 3
- UV-Visible Photodetector Based on I-type Heterostructure of ZnO-QDs/Monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Zhou YH, Zhang ZB, Xu P, Zhang H, Wang B
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 4
- Fabrication of Self-Powered Fast-Response Ultraviolet Photodetectors Based on Graphene/ZnO:Al Nanorod-Array-Film Structure with Stable Schottky Barrier.
- Authors: Duan L, He F, Tian Y, Sun B, Fan J, Yu X, Ni L, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 8
- Solar-Blind Self-Powered Photodetector Using Solution-Processed Amorphous Core-Shell Gallium Oxide Nanoparticles.
- Authors: Mitra S, Pak Y, Xin B, Almalawi DR, Wehbe N, Roqan IS
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 23