Interfacial Electronic Coupling of NC@WO3-W2C Decorated Ru Clusters as a Reversible Catalyst toward Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Oxidation and Evolution Reactions.
Online Publication Date2021-06-17
Print Publication Date2021-07-22
Embargo End Date2022-06-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669404
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDesigning a bifunctional catalyst for hydrogen oxidation reaction (HOR) and hydrogen evolution reaction (HER) is significant toward developing sustainable hydrogen-electric conversion systems. Herein, we develop a cost-effective bifunctional catalyst of Ru/N-doped Carbon@WO3-W2C (Ru/NC@WOC) via co-precipitation and polyol reduction. Ru/NC@WOC shows superior HOR/HER activity in alkaline solution in comparison with commercial Pt/C. HOR electrochemical tests show that the mass activity at 0.05 V (1.96 mA ug-1Ru ) and exchange-current density are 7.5 and 1.2 times that of Pt/C. Additionality, the Ru/NC@WOC exhibit up 30-fold HOR activity in mass activity compared with benchmark Ru/C. Moreover, it also displays exceptional electrocatalytic HER with overpotential of 31 mV@10 mA cm-2 and 119 mV@100 mA cm-2 , surpassing Pt/C, benchmark Ru/C and most of the previously reported electrocatalysts. The outstanding catalytic activity of Ru/NC@WOC probably arises from the synergy between Ru and NC@WOC matrix, suitable hydrogen binding energy, and highly conductive substrate. Thus, this work may pave a new avenue to fabricate low-cost bifunctional HOR/HER catalysts for alkaline fuel cells and water electrolyzer.
CitationYang, Y., Shao, X., Zhou, S., Yan, P., Isimjan, T. T., & Yang, X. (2021). Interfacial Electronic Coupling of NC@WO3-W2C Decorated Ru Clusters as a Reversible Catalyst toward Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Oxidation and Evolution Reactions. ChemSusChem. doi:10.1002/cssc.202100893
- Ruthenium/Ruthenium oxide hybrid nanoparticles anchored on hollow spherical Copper-Cobalt Nitride/Nitrogen doped carbon nanostructures to promote alkaline water splitting: Boosting catalytic performance via synergy between morphology engineering, electron transfer tuning and electronic behavior modulation.
- Authors: Rezaee S, Shahrokhian S
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 15
- Platinum Nanostructure/Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Hybrid: Enhancing its Base Media HER/HOR Activity through Bi-functionality of the Catalyst.
- Authors: Kundu MK, Bhowmik T, Mishra R, Barman S
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 20
- Electronic Modulation of Pt Nanoparticles on Ni(3)N-Mo(2)C by Support-Induced Strategy for Accelerating Hydrogen Oxidation and Evolution.
- Authors: Yang Y, Dai Q, Shi L, Liu Y, Isimjan TT, Yang X
- Issue date: 2022 Mar 10
- Isolated Ni Atoms Dispersed on Ru Nanosheets: High-Performance Electrocatalysts toward Hydrogen Oxidation Reaction.
- Authors: Mao J, He CT, Pei J, Liu Y, Li J, Chen W, He D, Wang D, Li Y
- Issue date: 2020 May 13
- Anion-Modulated Platinum for High-Performance Multifunctional Electrocatalysis toward HER, HOR, and ORR.
- Authors: Pu Z, Cheng R, Zhao J, Hu Z, Li C, Li W, Wang P, Amiinu IS, Wang Z, Min Wang, Chen D, Mu S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 18