Emergence of Room Temperature Magnetotransport Anomaly in Epitaxial Pt/γ′-Fe4N/MgO Heterostructures toward Noncollinear Spintronics
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Thin Films & Characterization
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2021-05-27
Print Publication Date2021-06-09
Embargo End Date2022-05-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669296
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNoncollinear spin textures have attracted much attention due to their novel physical behaviors in heavy/ferromagnetic metal (HM/FM) systems. The transport anomaly, appearing as contrast humps in Hall resistivity curves, is the mark of noncollinear spin textures. Here, the epitaxial Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers with noncollinear spin textures were obtained by facing target sputtering. Large micromagnetic Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction coefficient <i>D</i> of 2.90 mJ/m<sup>2</sup> appears in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N/MgO systems, which is larger than 2.05 mJ/m<sup>2</sup> of Pt/Co/MgO systems with skyrmionic states. Moreover, at 300 K, magnetic bubble-like domains appear in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers that just possess a 3 nm thick ferromagnetic layer instead of [HM/FM]<i><sub>n</sub></i> or [HM<sub>1</sub>/FM/HM<sub>2</sub>]<i><sub>n</sub></i> multilayers. Additionally, a room-temperature transport anomaly appears in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N/MgO systems. The contrast humps of Pt(3 nm)/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N(<i>t</i><sub>Fe<sub>4</sub>N</sub> ≤ 4 nm)/MgO heterostructures are not sharp due to the nonuniform distributions of the magnetic bubble-like domains with various sizes and irregular shapes, as observed by the magnetic force microscopy. The discovery of epitaxial Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers with noncollinear spin states is more crucial than that of polycrystalline or amorphous HM/FM systems for reducing ohmic heating, which provides a candidate for noncollinear spintronic applications.
CitationShi, X., Jiang, J., Wang, Y., Hou, Z., Zhang, Q., Mi, W., & Zhang, X. (2021). Emergence of Room Temperature Magnetotransport Anomaly in Epitaxial Pt/γ′-Fe4N/MgO Heterostructures toward Noncollinear Spintronics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. doi:10.1021/acsami.1c07098
SponsorsThis work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (nos. 51871161 and 52071233).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Bending Strain-Tailored Magnetic and Electronic Transport Properties of Reactively Sputtered γ'-Fe(4)N/Muscovite Epitaxial Heterostructures toward Flexible Spintronics.
- Authors: Shi X, Wu M, Lai Z, Li X, Gao P, Mi W
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 17
- Interfacial exchange coupling induced anomalous anisotropic magnetoresistance in epitaxial γ'-Fe₄N/CoN bilayers.
- Authors: Li Z, Mi W, Wang X, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 18
- Scaling of anomalous Hall effects in facing-target reactively sputtered Fe4N films.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Mi WB, Wang XC, Zhang XX
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 21
- Strain-Tunable Interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interaction and Spin-Hall Topological Hall Effect in Pt/Tm(3)Fe(5)O(12) Heterostructures.
- Authors: Xu Z, Liu Q, Ji Y, Li X, Li J, Wang J, Chen L
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 13
- Magnetic Damping and Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interactions in Pt/Co(2)FeAl/MgO Systems Grown on Si and MgO Substrates.
- Authors: Challab N, Roussigné Y, Chérif SM, Gabor M, Belmeguenai M
- Issue date: 2023 Feb 7