Emergence of Room Temperature Magnetotransport Anomaly in Epitaxial Pt/γ′-Fe4N/MgO Heterostructures toward Noncollinear Spintronics
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Thin Films & Characterization
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2021-05-27
Print Publication Date2021-06-09
Embargo End Date2022-05-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669296
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNoncollinear spin textures have attracted much attention due to their novel physical behaviors in heavy/ferromagnetic metal (HM/FM) systems. The transport anomaly, appearing as contrast humps in Hall resistivity curves, is the mark of noncollinear spin textures. Here, the epitaxial Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers with noncollinear spin textures were obtained by facing target sputtering. Large micromagnetic Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction coefficient <i>D</i> of 2.90 mJ/m<sup>2</sup> appears in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N/MgO systems, which is larger than 2.05 mJ/m<sup>2</sup> of Pt/Co/MgO systems with skyrmionic states. Moreover, at 300 K, magnetic bubble-like domains appear in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers that just possess a 3 nm thick ferromagnetic layer instead of [HM/FM]<i><sub>n</sub></i> or [HM<sub>1</sub>/FM/HM<sub>2</sub>]<i><sub>n</sub></i> multilayers. Additionally, a room-temperature transport anomaly appears in Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N/MgO systems. The contrast humps of Pt(3 nm)/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N(<i>t</i><sub>Fe<sub>4</sub>N</sub> ≤ 4 nm)/MgO heterostructures are not sharp due to the nonuniform distributions of the magnetic bubble-like domains with various sizes and irregular shapes, as observed by the magnetic force microscopy. The discovery of epitaxial Pt/γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N bilayers with noncollinear spin states is more crucial than that of polycrystalline or amorphous HM/FM systems for reducing ohmic heating, which provides a candidate for noncollinear spintronic applications.
CitationShi, X., Jiang, J., Wang, Y., Hou, Z., Zhang, Q., Mi, W., & Zhang, X. (2021). Emergence of Room Temperature Magnetotransport Anomaly in Epitaxial Pt/γ′-Fe4N/MgO Heterostructures toward Noncollinear Spintronics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. doi:10.1021/acsami.1c07098
SponsorsThis work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (nos. 51871161 and 52071233).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Bending Strain-Tailored Magnetic and Electronic Transport Properties of Reactively Sputtered γ'-Fe<sub>4</sub>N/Muscovite Epitaxial Heterostructures toward Flexible Spintronics.
- Authors: Shi X, Wu M, Lai Z, Li X, Gao P, Mi W
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 17
- Interfacial exchange coupling induced anomalous anisotropic magnetoresistance in epitaxial γ'-Fe₄N/CoN bilayers.
- Authors: Li Z, Mi W, Wang X, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 18
- Scaling of anomalous Hall effects in facing-target reactively sputtered Fe4N films.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Mi WB, Wang XC, Zhang XX
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 21
- Phase Stability of Iron Nitride Fe<sub>4</sub>N at High Pressure-Pressure-Dependent Evolution of Phase Equilibria in the Fe-N System.
- Authors: Wetzel MH, Rabending TT, Friák M, Všianská M, Šob M, Leineweber A
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Unraveling Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interaction and Chiral Nature of Graphene/Cobalt Interface.
- Authors: Ajejas F, Gudín A, Guerrero R, Anadón Barcelona A, Diez JM, de Melo Costa L, Olleros P, Niño MA, Pizzini S, Vogel J, Valvidares M, Gargiani P, Cabero M, Varela M, Camarero J, Miranda R, Perna P
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 12