Puglisi, Francesco Maria
Roldan, Juan B.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering Division King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Thuwal 23955-6900 Saudi Arabia
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2022-05-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669293
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvanced data encryption requires the use of true random number generators (TRNGs) to produce unpredictable sequences of bits. TRNG circuits with high degree of randomness and low power consumption may be fabricated by using the random telegraph noise (RTN) current signals produced by polarized metal/insulator/metal (MIM) devices as entropy source. However, the RTN signals produced by MIM devices made of traditional insulators, i.e., transition metal oxides like HfO<sub>2</sub> and Al<sub>2</sub> O<sub>3</sub> , are not stable enough due to the formation and lateral expansion of defect clusters, resulting in undesired current fluctuations and the disappearance of the RTN effect. Here, the fabrication of highly stable TRNG circuits with low power consumption, high degree of randomness (even for a long string of 2<sup>24</sup> - 1 bits), and high throughput of 1 Mbit s<sup>-1</sup> by using MIM devices made of multilayer hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN) is shown. Their application is also demonstrated to produce one-time passwords, which is ideal for the internet-of-everything. The superior stability of the h-BN-based TRNG is related to the presence of few-atoms-wide defects embedded within the layered and crystalline structure of the h-BN stack, which produces a confinement effect that avoids their lateral expansion and results in stable operation.
CitationWen, C., Li, X., Zanotti, T., Puglisi, F. M., Shi, Y., Saiz, F., … Lanza, M. (2021). Advanced Data Encryption using 2D Materials. Advanced Materials, 2100185. doi:10.1002/adma.202100185
SponsorsM.L. acknowledges generous support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. This work was supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (grants no. 2018YFE0100800, 2019YFE0124200), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grants no. 61874075), the Collaborative Innovation Centre of Suzhou Nano Science & Technology, the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions, and the 111 Project from the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of China. A.A. and S.R. acknowledge the project: ModElling Charge and Heat trANsport in 2D-materIals based Composites—MECHANIC reference number: PCI2018-093120 funded by Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades. ICN2 is funded by the CERCA Programme/Generalitat de Catalunya and is supported by the Severo Ochoa program from Spanish MINECO (Grant No. SEV-2017-0706). Y.S. acknowledges support from the European Union (Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions (grant no. 894840). The authors acknowledge technical advice from H.-S. Philip Wong from Stanford University and Xiaoming Xie from Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Solution-Processed Carbon Nanotube True Random Number Generator.
- Authors: Gaviria Rojas WA, McMorrow JJ, Geier ML, Tang Q, Kim CH, Marks TJ, Hersam MC
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 9
- Graphene-Boron Nitride-Graphene Cross-Point Memristors with Three Stable Resistive States.
- Authors: Zhu K, Liang X, Yuan B, Villena MA, Wen C, Wang T, Chen S, Hui F, Shi Y, Lanza M
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 16
- Localized Probing of Dielectric Breakdown in Multilayer Hexagonal Boron Nitride.
- Authors: Ranjan A, O'Shea SJ, Bosman M, Raghavan N, Pey KL
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 9
- Growth of High-Quality Hexagonal Boron Nitride Single-Layer Films on Carburized Ni Substrates for Metal-Insulator-Metal Tunneling Devices.
- Authors: He Y, Tian H, Das P, Cui Z, Pena P, Chiang I, Shi W, Xu L, Li Y, Yang T, Isarraraz M, Ozkan CS, Ozkan M, Lake RK, Liu J
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 5
- Controlled Growth of Large-Area Uniform Multilayer Hexagonal Boron Nitride as an Effective 2D Substrate.
- Authors: Uchida Y, Nakandakari S, Kawahara K, Yamasaki S, Mitsuhara M, Ago H
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 26