Alhebshi, Nuha A.
Hedhili, Mohamed N.
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2018 KAUST-KAU-3903
Online Publication Date2021-05-28
Print Publication Date2021-06-09
Embargo End Date2022-05-28
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669291
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGraphite has become a critical material because of its essential role in the lithium-ion battery (LIB) industry. However, the synthesis of graphite requires an energy-intensive thermal treatment. Also, when used in sodium-ion and potassium-ion batteries (SIBs and PIBs), the graphite anode shows poor capacities and cycling stability, which hinders the development of next-generation battery technologies. Finding suitable anode materials for commercial alkali metal-ion batteries is not only urgent for the energy storage industry, but is also important for economic and sustainable development. In this work, we use fly ash carbon (FAC), a residue of crude oil combustion, as an anode material for alkali metal-ion batteries. The FAC anodes show relatively high capacities and excellent cycling stability. The charge storage mechanism of FAC anode is shown to be intercalation coupled with redox reactions of oxygen functional groups. This work shows that FAC is a promising scalable anode material for alkali metal-ion batteries.
CitationYin, J., Zhang, W., Huang, G., Alhebshi, N. A., Salah, N., Hedhili, M. N., & Alshareef, H. N. (2021). Fly Ash Carbon Anodes for Alkali Metal-Ion Batteries. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. doi:10.1021/acsami.1c06543
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology__King Abdulaziz University (KAUST-KAU) Initiative (grant no.OSR-2018 KAUST-KAU-3903). The authors thank the Core Laboratories at KAUST for their excellent support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Nitrogen-doped carbon encapsulated zinc vanadate polyhedron engineered from a metal-organic framework as a stable anode for alkali ion batteries.
- Authors: Fang Y, Chen Y, Zeng L, Yang T, Xu Q, Wang Y, Zeng S, Qian Q, Wei M, Chen Q
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- A Graphite Intercalation Composite as the Anode for the Potassium-Ion Oxygen Battery in a Concentrated Ether-Based Electrolyte.
- Authors: Lei Y, Chen Y, Wang H, Hu J, Han D, Dong J, Xu W, Li X, Wang Y, Wu Y, Zhai D, Kang F
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 19
- A Cyclized Polyacrylonitrile Anode for Alkali Metal Ion Batteries.
- Authors: Zhang W, Sun M, Yin J, Abou-Hamad E, Schwingenschlögl U, Costa PMFJ, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 18
- Na-Ion Battery Anodes: Materials and Electrochemistry.
- Authors: Luo W, Shen F, Bommier C, Zhu H, Ji X, Hu L
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 16
- Two-Dimensional Transition Metal Chalcogenides for Alkali Metal Ions Storage.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Zhang L, Lv T, Chu PK, Huo K
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 20