Making Waves: Collaboration in the time of SARS-CoV-2 - rapid development of an international co-operation and wastewater surveillance database to support public health decision-making.
Lai, Foon Yin
Baz-Lomba, Jose Antonio
de Llanos, Rosa
Sánchez, Maria Blanca
Székely, Anna J
Thomaidis, Nikolaos S
van Nuijs, Alexander
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Microbial Safety and Biotechnology Lab
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2021-04-22
Print Publication Date2021-07
Embargo End Date2023-05-20
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669271
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe presence of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in wastewater was first reported in March 2020. Over the subsequent months, the potential for wastewater surveillance to contribute to COVID-19 mitigation programmes has been the focus of intense national and international research activities, gaining the attention of policy makers and the public. As a new application of an established methodology, focused collaboration between public health practitioners and wastewater researchers is essential to developing a common understanding on how, when and where the outputs of this non-invasive community-level approach can deliver actionable outcomes for public health authorities. Within this context, the NORMAN SCORE "SARS-CoV-2 in sewage" database provides a platform for rapid, open access data sharing, validated by the uploading of 276 data sets from nine countries to-date. Through offering direct access to underpinning meta-data sets (and describing its use in data interpretation), the NORMAN SCORE database is a resource for the development of recommendations on minimum data requirements for wastewater pathogen surveillance. It is also a tool to engage public health practitioners in discussions on use of the approach, providing an opportunity to build mutual understanding of the demand and supply for data and facilitate the translation of this promising research application into public health practice.
CitationLundy, L., Fatta-Kassinos, D., Slobodnik, J., Karaolia, P., Cirka, L., Kreuzinger, N., … Deviller, G. (2021). Making Waves: Collaboration in the time of SARS-CoV-2 - rapid development of an international co-operation and wastewater surveillance database to support public health decision-making. Water Research, 199, 117167. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2021.117167
SponsorsAll authors wish to thank the WWTP operators for providing samples. LL, AH and MV would like to acknowledge the VINNOVA (Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems) DRIZZLE – Centre for Stormwater Management (Grant no. 2016-05176) and the technical expertise provided by the Stormwater&Sewers network, Nireas-International Water Research Center of the University of Cyprus would like to thank the Sewerage Board of Limassol-Amathus (SBLA), the Sewerage Board of Nicosia (SBN) and the Paralimni Sewerage Board (PSB) for the provision of influent samples, for the purpose of performing this work. MPD wishes to thank COVIDBENS Inv04020 financed by EDAR Bens S.A, A Coruña, FYL wishes to thank Z Cetecioglu Gurol (KTH) and P Haglund (Umeå University) and TM would like to acknowledge financial support from APVV-19-0250, PP-COVID-20-0019, ASS8 and VIR-SCAN. Authors from the Univ Jaume LB, FH, MB and RdL acknowledge the financial support from Dirección General del Agua, Generalitat Valenciana, to develop the project "Covid_Wastewater", as well as the help E. Santateresa and N. Zamorano from FACSA, for the invaluable support in performing this work. RdL. was funded through a Beatriz Galindo Fellowship of the Ministerio de Educación y Formación Profesional, Spanish Government (BEAGAL18/00042). TM wishes to thank the generous support of the Operational Program Integrated Infrastructure for the project "Strategic research in the field of SMART monitoring, treatment and preventive protection against coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) ", Project no. 313011ASS8 (co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund) and the project VIR-SCAN - Wastewater monitoring data as an early warning tool to alert COVID-19 in the population (EOSCsecretariat.eu has received funding from the European Union's Horizon Program call H2020-INFRAEOSC- 05-2018-2019, grant Agreement number 831644). SK (IBISS) acknowledges the financial support from Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia grant No 451-03-9/2021-14/ 200007.
- SARS-CoV-2 Wastewater Surveillance for Public Health Action.
- Authors: McClary-Gutierrez JS, Mattioli MC, Marcenac P, Silverman AI, Boehm AB, Bibby K, Balliet M, de Los Reyes FL 3rd, Gerrity D, Griffith JF, Holden PA, Katehis D, Kester G, LaCross N, Lipp EK, Meiman J, Noble RT, Brossard D, McLellan SL
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Targeted wastewater surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 on a university campus for COVID-19 outbreak detection and mitigation.
- Authors: Scott LC, Aubee A, Babahaji L, Vigil K, Tims S, Aw TG
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Wastewater Surveillance for SARS-CoV-2 on College Campuses: Initial Efforts, Lessons Learned, and Research Needs.
- Authors: Harris-Lovett S, Nelson KL, Beamer P, Bischel HN, Bivins A, Bruder A, Butler C, Camenisch TD, De Long SK, Karthikeyan S, Larsen DA, Meierdiercks K, Mouser PJ, Pagsuyoin S, Prasek SM, Radniecki TS, Ram JL, Roper DK, Safford H, Sherchan SP, Shuster W, Stalder T, Wheeler RT, Korfmacher KS
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 22
- Wastewater-based epidemiology as a useful tool to track SARS-CoV-2 and support public health policies at municipal level in Brazil.
- Authors: Prado T, Fumian TM, Mannarino CF, Resende PC, Motta FC, Eppinghaus ALF, Chagas do Vale VH, Braz RMS, de Andrade JDSR, Maranhão AG, Miagostovich MP
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 1
- Monitoring SARS-CoV-2 in municipal wastewater to evaluate the success of lockdown measures for controlling COVID-19 in the UK.
- Authors: Hillary LS, Farkas K, Maher KH, Lucaci A, Thorpe J, Distaso MA, Gaze WH, Paterson S, Burke T, Connor TR, McDonald JE, Malham SK, Jones DL
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15