Low-Temperature Direct Electrochemical Methanol Reforming Enabled by CO-Immune Mo-based Hydrogen Evolution Catalysts
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Embargo End Date2022-04-29
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669040
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHydrogen storage in the form of intermediate artificial fuels such as methanol is important for future chemical and energy applications, and the electrochemical regeneration of hydrogen from methanol is thermodynamically favorable compared to direct water splitting. However, CO produced from methanol oxidation can adsorb to H 2 evolution catalysts and drastically reduce catalyst activity. In this study, we report and explore the origins of CO immunity in Mo-containing H 2 evolution catalysts. Unlike conventional catalysts such as Pt or Ni, Mo-based catalysts display remarkable immunity to CO poisoning. The origin of this behavior in NiMo appears to arise from the apparent inability of CO to bind Mo in electrocatalytic conditions, with mechanistic consequences for the HER in these systems. This specific property of Mo-based HER catalysts makes them ideal in environments where poisons may be present.
CitationBau, J., & Rueping, M. (2021). Low-Temperature Direct Electrochemical Methanol Reforming Enabled by CO-Immune Mo-based Hydrogen Evolution Catalysts. Chemistry – A European Journal. doi:10.1002/chem.202100876
SponsorsThe research reported in this study was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
JournalChemistry – A European Journal
- Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Electrolyzers Utilizing Non-precious Mo-based Hydrogen Evolution Catalysts.
- Authors: Ng JW, Hellstern TR, Kibsgaard J, Hinckley AC, Benck JD, Jaramillo TF
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 26
- Amorphous molybdenum sulfides as hydrogen evolution catalysts.
- Authors: Morales-Guio CG, Hu X
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 19
- Electrochemically Synthesized Nanoporous Molybdenum Carbide as a Durable Electrocatalyst for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction.
- Authors: Kang JS, Kim J, Lee MJ, Son YJ, Chung DY, Park S, Jeong J, Yoo JM, Shin H, Choe H, Park HS, Sung YE
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Platinum-Based Catalysts on Various Carbon Supports and Conducting Polymers for Direct Methanol Fuel Cell Applications: a Review.
- Authors: Ramli ZAC, Kamarudin SK
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 22
- In situ ATR-IR spectroscopic and reaction kinetics studies of water-gas shift and methanol reforming on Pt/Al2O3 catalysts in vapor and liquid phases.
- Authors: He R, Davda RR, Dumesic JA
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 24