18.4% Organic Solar Cells Using a High Ionization Energy Self-Assembled Monolayer as Hole Extraction Interlayer
El Labban, Abdulrahman
Naphade, Dipti R
Alshammari, Sanaa Hayel Nazil
Anthopoulos, Thomas D.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
KAUST KSC: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology KAUST Solar Research Center PSE SAUDI ARABIA
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2021-05-17
Print Publication Date2021-09-06
Embargo End Date2022-04-29
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/669027
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSelf-assembled monolayers (SAMs) based on Br-2PACz and MeO-2PACz molecules are investigated as hole-extracting interlayers in organic photovoltaics (OPVs). The highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) energies of these SAMs were measured at -6.01 and -5.30 eV for Br-2PACz and MeO-2PACz, respectively, and found to induce significant changes in the work function (WF) of indium-tin-oxide (ITO) electrodes upon chemical functionalization. OPV cells based on PM6:BTP-eC9:PC 71 BM using ITO/Br-2PACz anodes exhibit a maximum power conversion efficiency (PCE) of 18.4%, outperforming devices with ITO/MeO-2PACz (14.5%) and ITO/PEDOT:PSS (17.5%). The higher PCE is found to originate from the much higher WF of ITO/Br-2PACz (-5.81 eV) compared to ITO/MeO-2PACz (4.58 eV) and ITO/PEDOT:PSS (4.9 eV), resulting in lower interface resistance, improved hole transport/extraction, lower trap-assisted recombination, and longer carrier lifetimes. Importantly, the ITO/Br-2PACz electrode is chemically stable and after removal of the SAM it can be recycled and reused to construct fresh OPVs with equally impressive performance.
CitationLin, Y., Magomedov, A., Firdaus, Y., Kaltsas, D., El-Labban, A., Faber, H., … Anthopoulos, T. D. (2021). 18.4% Organic Solar Cells Using a High Ionization Energy Self-Assembled Monolayer as Hole Extraction Interlayer. ChemSusChem. doi:10.1002/cssc.202100707
- Solution-Processable PEDOT:PSS:α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> with Enhanced Conductivity as a Hole Transport Layer for High-Performance Polymer Solar Cells.
- Authors: Wang J, Yu H, Hou C, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 10
- "Supersaturated" self-assembled charge-selective interfacial layers for organic solar cells.
- Authors: Song CK, Luck KA, Zhou N, Zeng L, Heitzer HM, Manley EF, Goldman S, Chen LX, Ratner MA, Bedzyk MJ, Chang RP, Hersam MC, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 24
- Efficient polymer solar cells fabricated on poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate)-etched old indium tin oxide substrates.
- Authors: Elshobaki M, Anderegg J, Chaudhary S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 13
- Systematic investigation of organic photovoltaic cell charge injection/performance modulation by dipolar organosilane interfacial layers.
- Authors: Song CK, White AC, Zeng L, Leever BJ, Clark MD, Emery JD, Lou SJ, Timalsina A, Chen LX, Bedzyk MJ, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 25
- Eliminating the Detrimental Effect of Secondary Doping on PEDOT : PSS Hole Transporting Material Performance.
- Authors: Li Y, Li Q, Wang X, Fu Q, Hu C, Qiu X, Li T, Wang F
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 4