Conducting Polyaniline for Antifouling Ultrafiltration Membranes: Solutions and Challenges.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2018-CARF/CCF-3079
Embargo End Date2022-04-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668917
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConjugated polyaniline can impact the field of water filtration membranes due to its hydrophilic and antibacterial nature, facile and inexpensive synthesis procedure, heat and acid tolerance, and unique doping/dedoping chemistry. However, the gelation effect, its rigid backbone, and the limited hydrophilicity of polyaniline severely restrict the adaptability to membranes and their antifouling performance. This Mini Review summarizes important works of polyaniline-related ultrafiltration membranes, highlighting solutions to conquer engineering obstacles in processing and challenges in enhancing surface hydrophilicity with an emphasis on chemistry. As a pH-responsive polymer convertible to a conductive salt, this classic material should continue to bring unconventional advances into the realm of water filtration membranes.
CitationLin, C.-W., Xue, S., Ji, C., Huang, S.-C., Tung, V., & Kaner, R. B. (2021). Conducting Polyaniline for Antifouling Ultrafiltration Membranes: Solutions and Challenges. Nano Letters. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c00968
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Jacqueline Yang, Mackenzie Anderson, and Dr. Brian McVerry for providing images. V.T. is indebted to the KAUST Catalysis Center and Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No. OSR-2018-CARF/CCF-3079 for financial support. R.B.K. thanks the U.S./China Clean Energy Research Center for Water-Energy Technologies (CERC-WET) and the Dr. Myung Ki Hong Endowed Chair in Materials Innovation at UCLA.
- Optimized anti-biofouling performance of bactericides/cellulose nanocrystals composites modified PVDF ultrafiltration membrane for micro-polluted source water purification.
- Authors: Zhang G, Lv J, Yang F
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Hydrophilicity and antifouling property of membrane materials from cellulose acetate/polyethersulfone in DMAc.
- Authors: Sun Z, Chen F
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- A novel strategy to develop antifouling and antibacterial conductive Cu/polydopamine/polyvinylidene fluoride membranes for water treatment.
- Authors: Li R, Wu Y, Shen L, Chen J, Lin H
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Antifouling Ultrafiltration Membranes with Retained Pore Size by Controlled Deposition of Zwitterionic Polymers and Poly(ethylene glycol).
- Authors: Dobosz KM, Kuo-LeBlanc CA, Emrick T, Schiffman JD
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 5
- Preparation and antibacterial property of PES/AgNO3 three-bore hollow fiber ultrafiltration membranes.
- Authors: Chen Y, Dang J, Zhang Y, Zhang H, Liu J
- Issue date: 2013