Vigilant: An Engineered VirD2-Cas9 Complex for Lateral Flow Assay-Based Detection of SARS-CoV2
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Laboratory for Genome Engineering
Laboratory for Genome Engineering and Synthetic Biology, Division of Biological Sciences, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia
Laboratory of DNA Replication and Recombination
Embargo End Date2022-04-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668815
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRapid, sensitive, and specific point-of-care testing for pathogens is crucial for disease control. Lateral flow assays (LFAs) have been employed for nucleic acid detection, but they have limited sensitivity and specificity. Here, we used a fusion of catalytically inactive SpCas9 endonuclease and VirD2 relaxase for sensitive, specific nucleic acid detection by LFA. In this assay, the target nucleic acid is amplified with biotinylated oligos. VirD2-dCas9 specifically binds the target sequence via dCas9 and covalently binds to a FAM-tagged oligonucleotide via VirD2. The biotin label and FAM tag are detected by a commercially available LFA. We coupled this system, named Vigilant (<u>Vi</u>rD2-dCas9 <u>g</u>u<u>i</u>ded and <u>L</u>FA-coupled <u>n</u>ucleic acid <u>t</u>est), to reverse transcription-recombinase polymerase amplification to detect SARS-CoV2 in clinical samples. Vigilant exhibited a limit of detection of 2.5 copies/μL, comparable to CRISPR-based systems, and showed no cross-reactivity with SARS-CoV1 or MERS. Vigilant offers an easy-to-use, rapid, cost-effective, and robust detection platform for SARS-CoV2.
CitationMarsic, T., Ali, Z., Tehseen, M., Mahas, A., Hamdan, S., & Mahfouz, M. (2021). Vigilant: An Engineered VirD2-Cas9 Complex for Lateral Flow Assay-Based Detection of SARS-CoV2. Nano Letters. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c00612
SponsorsWe would like to thank Mohammad Alarawi for providing the RNA of SARS-CoV-2 clinical samples. We also thank members of the genome engineering and synthetic biology laboratory for insightful discussions and technical support. This work was supported, in part, by the Smart Health Initiative at KAUST and the IAF grant from the KAUST IED to M.M.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This document is the Accepted Manuscript version of a Published Work that appeared in final form in Nano Letters, copyright © American Chemical Society after peer review and technical editing by the publisher. To access the final edited and published work see https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c00612.
- One-tube SARS-CoV-2 detection platform based on RT-RPA and CRISPR/Cas12a.
- Authors: Sun Y, Yu L, Liu C, Ye S, Chen W, Li D, Huang W
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 16
- Development of a reverse transcription recombinase polymerase amplification assay for rapid and direct visual detection of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).
- Authors: Lau YL, Ismail IB, Mustapa NIB, Lai MY, Tuan Soh TS, Haji Hassan A, Peariasamy KM, Lee YL, Abdul Kahar MKB, Chong J, Goh PP
- Issue date: 2021
- Reverse Transcription Recombinase-Aided Amplification Assay With Lateral Flow Dipstick Assay for Rapid Detection of 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
- Authors: Zheng YZ, Chen JT, Li J, Wu XJ, Wen JZ, Liu XZ, Lin LY, Liang XY, Huang HY, Zha GC, Yang PK, Li LJ, Zhong TY, Liu L, Cheng WJ, Song XN, Lin M
- Issue date: 2021
- Ultra-sensitive and high-throughput CRISPR-p owered COVID-19 diagnosis.
- Authors: Huang Z, Tian D, Liu Y, Lin Z, Lyon CJ, Lai W, Fusco D, Drouin A, Yin X, Hu T, Ning B
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 15
- Simultaneous Dual-Gene Diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 Based on CRISPR/Cas9-Mediated Lateral Flow Assay.
- Authors: Xiong E, Jiang L, Tian T, Hu M, Yue H, Huang M, Lin W, Jiang Y, Zhu D, Zhou X
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 1