Synthesis of gold(I)-trifluoromethyl complexes and their role in generating spectroscopic evidence for a gold(I)-difluorocarbene species.
AuthorsNolan, Steven Patrick
Vanden Broeck, Sofie M P
Nelson, David J
Cordes, David B
Slawin, Alexandra M Z
Van Hecke, Kristof
Cazin, Catherine S J
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Embargo End Date2022-04-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668599
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReadily-prepared and bench-stable [Au(CF 3 )(NHC)] compounds were synthesized using new methodologies, starting from [Au(OH)(NHC)], [Au(Cl)(NHC)] or [Au(L)(NHC)]HF 2 precursors (NHC = N-heterocyclic carbene). The mechanism of formation of these species was investigated. Consequently, a new and straightforward strategy for the mild and selective cleavage of a single carbon-fluorine bond from [Au(CF 3 )(NHC)] complexes was attempted and found to be reversible in the presence of an additional nucleophilic fluoride source. This straightforward technique has led to the unprecedented spectroscopic observation of a gold(I)-NHC difluorocarbene species.
CitationNolan, S. P., Vanden Broeck, S. M. P., Nelson, D. J., Collado, A., Falivene, L., Cavallo, L., … Cazin, C. S. J. (2021). Synthesis of gold(I)-trifluoromethyl complexes and their role in generating spectroscopic evidence for a gold(I)-difluorocarbene species. Chemistry – A European Journal. doi:10.1002/chem.202100195
SponsorsWe thank the Ghent University (IoF), the Special Research Fund (BOF) starting (SPN, CSJC) and advanced (SPN, KVH) grants and Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) (fellowship to SVB and grant to CSJC and KVH) for funding. DFT calculations of the mechanism in this manuscript were performed using the Archie-WEST High Performance Computer at the University of Strathclyde.
- Expanded-ring N-heterocyclic carbenes for the stabilization of highly electrophilic gold(I) cations.
- Authors: Phillips N, Dodson T, Tirfoin R, Bates JI, Aldridge S
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 8
- Gold(I) N-heterocyclic carbene precursors for focused electron beam-induced deposition.
- Authors: Glessi C, Mahgoub A, Hagen CW, Tilset M
- Issue date: 2021
- The development and catalytic uses of N-heterocyclic carbene gold complexes.
- Authors: Nolan SP
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15
- Quantifying electronic similarities between NHC-gold(i) complexes and their isolobal imidazolium precursors.
- Authors: Azofra LM, Veenboer RMP, Falivene L, Vummaleti SVC, Poater A, Nolan SP, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 17
- Characterization of Hydrophilic Gold(I) N-Heterocyclic Carbene (NHC) Complexes as Potent TrxR Inhibitors Using Biochemical and Mass Spectrometric Approaches.
- Authors: Karaca Ö, Scalcon V, Meier-Menches SM, Bonsignore R, Brouwer JMJL, Tonolo F, Folda A, Rigobello MP, Kühn FE, Casini A
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 20