AuthorsTerraneo, Tullia Isotta
Baird, Andrew H
Forsman, Zac H
Wooster, Michael K
Berumen, Michael L.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Red Sea Research Centre, Division of Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia
Reef Ecology Lab
Embargo End Date2022-04-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668585
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe advent of high throughput sequencing technologies provides an opportunity to resolve phylogenetic relationships among closely related species. By incorporating hundreds to thousands of unlinked loci and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), phylogenomic analyses have a far greater potential to resolve species boundaries than approaches that rely on only a few markers. Scleractinian taxa have proved challenging to identify using traditional morphological approaches and many groups lack an adequate set of molecular markers to investigate their phylogenies. Here, we examine the potential of Restriction-site Associated DNA sequencing (RADseq) to investigate phylogenetic relationships and species limits within the scleractinian coral genus Porites. A total of 126 colonies were collected from 16 localities in the seas surrounding the Arabian Peninsula and ascribed to 12 nominal and two unknown species based on their morphology. Reference mapping was used to retrieve and compare nearly complete mitochondrial genomes, ribosomal DNA, and histone loci. De novo assembly and reference mapping to the P. lobata coral transcriptome were compared and used to obtain thousands of genome-wide loci and SNPs. A suite of species discovery methods (phylogenetic, ordination, and clustering analyses) and species delimitation approaches (coalescent-based, species tree, and Bayesian Factor delimitation) suggested the presence of eight molecular lineages, one of which included six morphospecies. Our phylogenomic approach provided a fully supported phylogeny of Porites from the Arabian Peninsula, suggesting the power of RADseq data to solve the species delineation problem in this speciose coral genus.
CitationTerraneo, T. I., Benzoni, F., Arrigoni, R., Baird, A. H., Mariappan, K. G., Forsman, Z. H., … Berumen, M. L. (2021). Phylogenomics of Porites from the Arabian Peninsula. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 107173. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2021.107173
SponsorsThis work was supported by KAUST (award # URF/1/1389–01–01, FCC/1/1973–07, and baseline research funds to ML Berumen), JCU (baseline research funds to AH Baird).
This research was undertaken in accordance with the policies and procedures of KAUST. Permissions relevant for KAUST to undertake the research have been obtained from the applicable governmental agencies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We wish to thank the captain and crew of the MV Dream Master, the KAUST Coastal and Marine Resources Core Laboratory, and AK Gusti (KAUST) for fieldwork logistics in the Red Sea.
- Coral hybridization or phenotypic variation? Genomic data reveal gene flow between Porites lobata and P. Compressa.
- Authors: Forsman ZH, Knapp ISS, Tisthammer K, Eaton DAR, Belcaid M, Toonen RJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Inferring the shallow phylogeny of true salamanders (Salamandra) by multiple phylogenomic approaches.
- Authors: Rodríguez A, Burgon JD, Lyra M, Irisarri I, Baurain D, Blaustein L, Göçmen B, Künzel S, Mable BK, Nolte AW, Veith M, Steinfartz S, Elmer KR, Philippe H, Vences M
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- The complete mitochondrial genome of the lobe coral <i>Porites lobata</i> (Anthozoa: Scleractinia) sequenced using ezRAD.
- Authors: Tisthammer KH, Forsman ZH, Sindorf VL, Massey TL, Bielecki CR, Toonen RJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 29
- Deciphering phylogenetic relationships and delimiting species boundaries using a Bayesian coalescent approach in protists: A case study of the ciliate genus Spirostomum (Ciliophora, Heterotrichea).
- Authors: Shazib SUA, Vďačný P, Slovák M, Gentekaki E, Shin MK
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 8
- Species delimitation in the coral genus Goniopora (Scleractinia, Poritidae) from the Saudi Arabian Red Sea.
- Authors: Terraneo TI, Benzoni F, Arrigoni R, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2016 Sep