Kats, Mikhail A.
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Embargo End Date2021-10-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668508
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA radiative vapor condenser sheds heat in the form of infrared radiation and cools itself to below the ambient air temperature to produce liquid water from vapor. This effect has been known for centuries, and is exploited by some insects to survive in dry deserts. Humans have also been using radiative condensation for dew collection. However, all existing radiative vapor condensers must operate during the nighttime. Here, we develop daytime radiative condensers that continue to operate 24 h a day. These daytime radiative condensers can produce water from vapor under direct sunlight, without active consumption of energy. Combined with traditional passive cooling via convection and conduction, radiative cooling can substantially increase the performance of passive vapor condensation, which can be used for passive water extraction and purification technologies.
CitationZhou, M., Song, H., Xu, X., Shahsafi, A., Qu, Y., Xia, Z., … Yu, Z. (2021). Vapor condensation with daytime radiative cooling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(14), e2019292118. doi:10.1073/pnas.2019292118
SponsorsWe acknowledge support from the NSF (Award CMMI-156197 to Z.Y. and M.Z.; Award CBET-1932843 to Q.G. and Z.Y.; Award CBET-1932968 to Q.G.; and Grant ECCS-1750341 to M.A.K.). M.Z. acknowledges support from the 3M Fellowship.
- Passive radiative cooling below ambient air temperature under direct sunlight.
- Authors: Raman AP, Anoma MA, Zhu L, Rephaeli E, Fan S
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 27
- A Multilayer Emitter Close to Ideal Solar Reflectance for Efficient Daytime Radiative Cooling.
- Authors: Zhu Y, Wang D, Fang C, He P, Ye YH
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 18
- Highly Solar-Reflective Structures for Daytime Radiative Cooling under High Humidity.
- Authors: Zhong H, Zhang P, Li Y, Yang X, Zhao Y, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 18
- Ultra-broadband all-dielectric metamaterial thermal emitter for passive radiative cooling.
- Authors: Kong A, Cai B, Shi P, Yuan XC
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 14
- Mechanically Robust and Spectrally Selective Convection Shield for Daytime Subambient Radiative Cooling.
- Authors: Zhang J, Zhou Z, Tang H, Xing J, Quan J, Liu J, Yu J, Hu M
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 31