High-Efficiency Separation of n-Hexane by A Dynamic Metal-Organic Framework with Reduced Energy Consumption
Olson, David H.
Williams, Lawrence J.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Nanostructured Functional Materials (NFM) laboratory
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2022-03-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/668110
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe separation of n -alkanes from their branched isomers is vitally important to improve octane rating of gasoline. To facilitate mass transfer, adsorptive separation is usually operated under high temperatures in industry, which require considerable energy. Herein, we present a kind of dynamic pillar-layered MOF that exhibits self-adjustable structure and pore space, a behavior induced by guest molecules. A combination of the flexibility of the framework with the commensurate adsorption for n -Hexane results in exceptional performance in separating hexane isomers. More significantly, lower temperature prompts the guest molecules to open the dynamic pores, which may provide a new perspective for optimized separation performance at lower temperatures with less energy consumption.
CitationChen, Q., Xian, S., Dong, X., Liu, Y., Wang, H., Olson, D. H., … Li, J. (2021). High-Efficiency Separation of n-Hexane by A Dynamic Metal-Organic Framework with Reduced Energy Consumption. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202100707
- Microporous Metal-Organic Frameworks for Adsorptive Separation of C5-C6 Alkane Isomers.
- Authors: Wang H, Li J
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 16
- Topologically guided tuning of Zr-MOF pore structures for highly selective separation of C6 alkane isomers.
- Authors: Wang H, Dong X, Lin J, Teat SJ, Jensen S, Cure J, Alexandrov EV, Xia Q, Tan K, Wang Q, Olson DH, Proserpio DM, Chabal YJ, Thonhauser T, Sun J, Han Y, Li J
- Issue date: 2018 May 1
- Flexible Zn-MOF with Rare Underlying <i>scu</i> Topology for Effective Separation of C6 Alkane Isomers.
- Authors: Velasco E, Xian S, Wang H, Teat SJ, Olson DH, Tan K, Ullah S, Osborn Popp TM, Bernstein AD, Oyekan KA, Nieuwkoop AJ, Thonhauser T, Li J
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 20
- Upgrading Octane Number of Naphtha by a Robust and Easily Attainable Metal-Organic Framework through Selective Molecular Sieving of Alkane Isomers.
- Authors: Wang H, Dong X, Ding J, Wang K, Yu L, Zhang S, Han Y, Gong Q, Ma A, Li J
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 16
- Iron-Based Metal-Organic Framework with Hydrophobic Quadrilateral Channels for Highly Selective Separation of Hexane Isomers.
- Authors: Lv D, Wang H, Chen Y, Xu F, Shi R, Liu Z, Wang X, Teat SJ, Xia Q, Li Z, Li J
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14