Single-Crystalline Ultrathin 2D Porous Nanosheets of Chiral Metal–Organic Frameworks
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Nanostructured Functional Materials (NFM) laboratory
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2022-02-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/667669
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional (2D) materials with highly ordered in-plane nanopores are crucial for numerous applications, but their rational synthesis and local structural characterization remain two grand challenges. We illustrate here that single-crystalline ultrathin 2D MOF nanosheets (MONs) with intrinsic porosity can be prepared by exfoliating layered metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), whose layers are stabilized by sterically bulky groups. As a result, three three-dimensional (3D) isostructural lanthanide MOFs possessing porous layer structures are constructed by coordinating metal ions with an angular dicarboxylate linker derived from chiral 1,1'-biphenyl phosphoric acid with pendant mesityl groups. The Eu-MOF is readily ultrasonic exfoliated into single-crystalline nanosheets with a thickness of ca. 6.0 nm (2 layers) and a lateral size of 1.5 × 3.0 μm2. The detailed structural information, i.e., the pore channels and individual organic and inorganic building units in the framework, is clearly visualized by a low-dose high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) technique. Benefiting from their ultrathin feature, the nanosheets are well embedded into the polymer matrix to form free-standing mixed-matrix membranes. In both the solution and membrane phase, the fluorescence of the MONs can be effectively quenched by a total of 17 chiral terpenes and terpenoids through supramolecular interactions with uncoordinated chiral phosphoric acids, leading to a chiral optical sensor for detecting vapor enantiomers, which is among the most challenging molecular recognition tasks.
CitationLiu, Y., Liu, L., Chen, X., Liu, Y., Han, Y., & Cui, Y. (2021). Single-Crystalline Ultrathin 2D Porous Nanosheets of Chiral Metal–Organic Frameworks. Journal of the American Chemical Society. doi:10.1021/jacs.0c13005
SponsorsThis work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grants 21431004, 21620102001, 21875136, and 91856204), the National Key Basic Research Program of China (Grant 2016YFA0203400), and the Key Project of Basic Research of Shanghai (17JC1403100 and 18JC1413200).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Boosting Enantioselectivity of Chiral Organocatalysts with Ultrathin Two-Dimensional Metal-Organic Framework Nanosheets.
- Authors: Tan C, Yang K, Dong J, Liu Y, Liu Y, Jiang J, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 6
- Ultrathin two-dimensional conjugated metal-organic framework single-crystalline nanosheets enabled by surfactant-assisted synthesis.
- Authors: Wang Z, Wang G, Qi H, Wang M, Wang M, Park S, Wang H, Yu M, Kaiser U, Fery A, Zhou S, Dong R, Feng X
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 21
- Chiral BINOL-Based Covalent Organic Frameworks for Enantioselective Sensing.
- Authors: Wu X, Han X, Xu Q, Liu Y, Yuan C, Yang S, Liu Y, Jiang J, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2019 May 1
- Ultrathin water-stable metal-organic framework membranes for ion separation.
- Authors: Jian M, Qiu R, Xia Y, Lu J, Chen Y, Gu Q, Liu R, Hu C, Qu J, Wang H, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Fluorescent 2D metal-organic framework nanosheets (MONs): design, synthesis and sensing of explosive nitroaromatic compounds (NACs).
- Authors: Maka VK, Mukhopadhyay A, Savitha G, Moorthy JN
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 21