A THz graphene metasurface for polarization selective virus sensing.
Online Publication Date2021-02-15
Print Publication Date2021-05
Embargo End Date2023-02-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/667629
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe propose a novel method to exploit chirality of highly sensitive graphene plasmonic metasurfaces to characterize complex refractive indexes (RI) of viruses by detecting the polarization state of the reflected electric fields in the THz spectrum. A dispersive graphene metasurface is designed to produce chiral surface currents to couple linearly polarized incident fields to circularly polarized reflected fields. The metasurface sensing sensitivity is the result of surface plasmon currents that flow in a chiral fashion with strong intensity due to the underlying geometrical resonance. Consequently, unique polarization states are observed in the far-field with the ellipticity values that change rapidly with the analyte's RI. The determination of bimolecular RI is treated as an inverse problem in which the polarization states of the virus is compared with a pre-calculated calibration model that is obtained by full-wave electromagnetic simulations. We demonstrate the polarization selective sensing method by RI discrimination of three different types of Avian Influenza (AI) viruses including H1N1, H5N2, and H9N2 is possible. Since the proposed virus characterization method only requires determination of the polarization ellipses including its orientation at monochromatic frequency, the required instrumentation is simpler compared to traditional spectroscopic methods which need a broadband frequency scan.
CitationAmin, M., Siddiqui, O., Abutarboush, H., Farhat, M., & Ramzan, R. (2021). A THz graphene metasurface for polarization selective virus sensing. Carbon, 176, 580–591. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2021.02.051
SponsorsThis project was supported by Deanship of Scientific Research at Taibah University under Research Grant number ENG-1.
- Dual-Frequency Polarized Reconfigurable Terahertz Antenna Based on Graphene Metasurface and TOPAS.
- Authors: Zhang J, Tao S, Yan X, Zhang X, Guo J, Wen Z
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 9
- Graphene-based metasurface for a tunable broadband terahertz cross-polarization converter over a wide angle of incidence.
- Authors: Yadav VS, Ghosh SK, Bhattacharyya S, Das S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 10
- Electrically Tunable Broadband Terahertz Absorption with Hybrid-Patterned Graphene Metasurfaces.
- Authors: Ye L, Chen X, Cai G, Zhu J, Liu N, Liu QH
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 24
- Broadband and switchable terahertz polarization converter based on graphene metasurfaces.
- Authors: Zhang R, You B, Wang S, Han K, Shen X, Wang W
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 2
- Multilayer graphene-based metasurfaces: robust design method for extremely broadband, wide-angle, and polarization-insensitive terahertz absorbers.
- Authors: Rahmanzadeh M, Rajabalipanah H, Abdolali A
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 1