KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-CRG2018-3735
Embargo End Date2022-01-20
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/667183
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAqueous Zn-based batteries are attractive because of the low cost and high theoretical capacity of the Zn metal anode. However, the Zn-based batteries developed so far utilize an excess amount of Zn (i.e., thick Zn metal anode), which decreases the energy density of the whole battery. Herein, we demonstrate an anode-free design (i.e., zero-excess Zn), which is enabled by employing a nanocarbon nucleation layer. Electrochemical studies show that this design allows for uniform Zn electrodeposition with high efficiency and stability over a range of current densities and plating capacities. Using this anode-free configuration, we showcase a Zn-MnO<sub>2</sub> battery prototype, showing 68.2% capacity retention after 80 cycles. Our anode-free design opens a new direction for implementing aqueous Zn-based batteries in energy storage systems.
CitationZhu, Y., Cui, Y., & Alshareef, H. N. (2021). An Anode-Free Zn–MnO2 Battery. Nano Letters. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c04519
SponsorsResearch reported in this work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) under the KAUST Stanford competitive research grant number: OSR-CRG2018-3735.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Stable and High-Energy-Density Zn-Ion Rechargeable Batteries Based on a MoS<sub>2</sub>-Coated Zn Anode.
- Authors: Bhoyate S, Mhin S, Jeon JE, Park K, Kim J, Choi W
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 17
- Anode Materials for Aqueous Zinc Ion Batteries: Mechanisms, Properties, and Perspectives.
- Authors: Wang T, Li C, Xie X, Lu B, He Z, Liang S, Zhou J
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 14
- Anode-Free Sodium Battery through in Situ Plating of Sodium Metal.
- Authors: Cohn AP, Muralidharan N, Carter R, Share K, Pint CL
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 8
- Revealing the Impact of Oxygen Dissolved in Electrolytes on Aqueous Zinc-Ion Batteries.
- Authors: Su L, Liu L, Liu B, Meng J, Yan X
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 24
- Advanced Low-Cost, High-Voltage, Long-Life Aqueous Hybrid Sodium/Zinc Batteries Enabled by a Dendrite-Free Zinc Anode and Concentrated Electrolyte.
- Authors: Li W, Wang K, Zhou M, Zhan H, Cheng S, Jiang K
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 5