Tractable bayes of skew-elliptical link models for correlated binary data
KAUST DepartmentStatistics Program, Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Thuwal 23955-6900 Saudi Arabia
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Science and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Extreme Computing Research Center
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666901
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCorrelated binary response data with covariates are ubiquitous in longitudinal or spatial studies. Among the existing statistical models the most well-known one for this type of data is the multivariate probit model, which uses a Gaussian link to model dependence at the latent level. However, a symmetric link may not be appropriate if the data are highly imbalanced. Here, we propose a multivariate skew-elliptical link model for correlated binary responses, which includes the multivariate probit model as a special case. Furthermore, we perform Bayesian inference for this new model and prove that the regression coefficients have a closed-form unified skew-elliptical posterior with an elliptical prior. The new methodology is illustrated by an application to COVID-19 data from three different counties of the state of California, USA. By jointly modeling extreme spikes in weekly new cases, our results show that the spatial dependence cannot be neglected. Furthermore, the results also show that the skewed latent structure of our proposed model improves the flexibility of the multivariate probit model and provides a better fit to our highly imbalanced dataset.
CitationZhang, Z., Arellano-Valle, R. B., Genton, M. G., & Huser, R. (2022). Tractable bayes of skew-elliptical link models for correlated binary data. Biometrics. Portico. https://doi.org/10.1111/biom.13731
- Skew-normal/independent linear mixed models for censored responses with applications to HIV viral loads.
- Authors: Bandyopadhyay D, Lachos VH, Castro LM, Dey DK
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Flexible link functions in nonparametric binary regression with Gaussian process priors.
- Authors: Li D, Wang X, Lin L, Dey DK
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Bayesian joint analysis of heterogeneous- and skewed-longitudinal data and a binary outcome, with application to AIDS clinical studies.
- Authors: Lu X, Huang Y, Chen J, Zhou R, Yu S, Yin P
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Skew-elliptical spatial random effect modeling for areal data with application to mapping health utilization rates.
- Authors: Nathoo FS, Ghosh P
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 30
- Efficient estimation and prediction for the Bayesian binary spatial model with flexible link functions.
- Authors: Roy V, Evangelou E, Zhu Z
- Issue date: 2016 Mar