Rationally Designed CdS-Based Ternary Heterojunctions: A Case of 1T-MoS2 in CdS/TiO2 Photocatalyst
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666796
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs promising heterojunction photocatalysts, the binary CdS-based heterojunctions were investigated extensively. In most of the reported CdS-based heterojunctions, however, electrons come from the semiconductor with wide band gap (e.g., TiO2) would limit the visible-light absorption of CdS and hence lower the performance. In this work, we introduced 1T-MoS2 to form a novel ternary heterojunction, namely CdS/1T-MoS2/TiO2, in which 1T-MoS2 has more positive conduction band than CdS and TiO2. The hydrogen evolution rate of CdS/1T-MoS2/TiO2 reaches 3.15 mmol g−1 h−1, which is approximately 12 and 35 times higher than that of pure CdS and CdS/TiO2 binary heterojunction under the same conditions, respectively. This performance enhancement could be attributed to the presence of 1T-MoS2 and a plausible mechanism is proposed based on photoelectrochemical characterizations. Our results illustrate that the performance of CdS-based heterojunctions for solar hydrogen evolution can be greatly improved by appropriate materials selection.
CitationChen, W., Zhang, S., Wang, G., Huang, G., Yu, Z., Li, Y., & Tang, L. (2020). Rationally Designed CdS-Based Ternary Heterojunctions: A Case of 1T-MoS2 in CdS/TiO2 Photocatalyst. Nanomaterials, 11(1), 38. doi:10.3390/nano11010038
SponsorsThis research was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 41573096, 21707064), Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (No.IRT_17R71), Program for Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning (QD2019005).
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cite.
- Synthesis of Particulate Hierarchical Tandem Heterojunctions toward Optimized Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production.
- Authors: Sun B, Zhou W, Li H, Ren L, Qiao P, Li W, Fu H
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Rationally designed n-n heterojunction with highly efficient solar hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Xu M, Ye T, Dai F, Yang J, Shen J, He Q, Chen W, Liang N, Zai J, Qian X
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 13
- Hydrogenated MoS<sub>2</sub> QD-TiO<sub>2</sub> heterojunction mediated efficient solar hydrogen production.
- Authors: Saha A, Sinhamahapatra A, Kang TH, Ghosh SC, Yu JS, Panda AB
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 9
- Metallic 1T-phase MoS<sub>2</sub> quantum dots/g-C<sub>3</sub>N<sub>4</sub> heterojunctions for enhanced photocatalytic hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Liang Z, Sun B, Xu X, Cui H, Tian J
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 7
- Sulfur Vacancy-Rich O-Doped 1T-MoS<sub>2</sub> Nanosheets for Exceptional Photocatalytic Nitrogen Fixation over CdS.
- Authors: Sun B, Liang Z, Qian Y, Xu X, Han Y, Tian J
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 12