Combined ex and in situ measurements elucidate the dynamics of retained species in ZSM-5 and SAPO-18 catalysts used in the methanol-to-olefins reaction
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2021-12-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666677
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have studied the dynamics of the retained species on ZSM-5 and SAPO-18 zeolites using a combination of temperature-programmed desorption/oxidation, ex situ analysis and in situ FTIR spectroscopic measurements over the entire conversion range, using fixed-bed and spectroscopic cell reactors, in continuous and discontinuous mode. Our results point to the appropriateness of the combined methodologies to track the interconversion of active into deactivating species. We found a statistically relevant (supported by linear regression and multivariate analysis) association of our observations using the different complementary methodologies. The kinetics of this interconversion depends on the initial conversion (tuned by acidity and space time) and microporous topology, and involve: (i) in the ZSM-5 catalysts, the diffusion of monocyclic aromatics toward the exterior of the zeolite to form coke and (ii) in the SAPO-18 catalysts, the obstruction of the cages by aromatics that grow up to tetracyclic aromatics islands.
CitationValecillos, J., Ruiz-Martinez, J., Aguayo, A. T., & Castaño, P. (2020). Combined ex and in situ measurements elucidate the dynamics of retained species in ZSM-5 and SAPO-18 catalysts used in the methanol-to-olefins reaction. Chemistry – A European Journal. doi:10.1002/chem.202004865
JournalChemistry – A European Journal
- Space- and time-resolved in-situ spectroscopy on the coke formation in molecular sieves: methanol-to-olefin conversion over H-ZSM-5 and H-SAPO-34.
- Authors: Mores D, Stavitski E, Kox MH, Kornatowski J, Olsbye U, Weckhuysen BM
- Issue date: 2008
- Enhancing the production of light olefins and aromatics from catalytic fast pyrolysis of cellulose in a dual-catalyst fixed bed reactor.
- Authors: Yang M, Shao J, Yang H, Zeng K, Wu Z, Chen Y, Bai X, Chen H
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Synthesis of mesoporous SAPO-34 zeolite from mesoporous silica materials for methanol to light olefins.
- Authors: Kang EA, Kim TW, Chae HJ, Kim M, Jeong KE, Kim JW, Kim CU, Jeong SY
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- A study on the performance of coke resistive cerium modified zeolite Y catalyst for the pyrolysis of scrap tyres in a two-stage fixed bed reactor.
- Authors: Khalil U, Vongsvivut J, Shahabuddin M, Samudrala SP, Srivatsa SC, Bhattacharya S
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 1
- Effects of Coke Deposits on the Catalytic Performance of Large Zeolite H-ZSM-5 Crystals during Alcohol-to-Hydrocarbon Reactions as Investigated by a Combination of Optical Spectroscopy and Microscopy.
- Authors: Nordvang EC, Borodina E, Ruiz-Martínez J, Fehrmann R, Weckhuysen BM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 23