Synthesis of Polycarboxylate Rh(II)-Metal-Organic Polyhedra and their use as Building Blocks for Highly-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Embargo End Date2021-12-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666340
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUse of preformed metal-organic polyhedra (MOPs) as supermolecular building blocks (SBBs) for the synthesis of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) remains underexplored due to lack of robust functionalized MOPs. Herein we report the use of polycarboxylate cuboctahedral Rh(II)-MOPs for constructing highly-connected MOFs. Cuboctahedral MOPs were functionalized with carboxylic acid groups on their 12 vertices or 24 edges through coordinative or covalent post-synthetic routes, respectively. We then used each isolated polycarboxylate Rh(II)-MOP as 12-c cuboctahedral or 24-c rhombicuboctahedral SBBs that, upon linkage with metallic secondary building units (SBUs), afford bimetallic highly-connected MOFs. The assembly of a pre-synthesized 12-c SBB with a 4-c paddle-wheel SBU, and a 24-c SBB with a 3-c triangular Cu(II) SBU gave rise to bimetallic MOFs having ftw (4,12-c) or rht (3,24-c) topologies, respectively.
CitationGrancha, T., Carne-Sanchez, A., Zarekarizi, F., Hernández-López, L., Albalad, J., Khobotov, A., … Maspoch, D. (2020). Synthesis of Polycarboxylate Rh(II)-Metal-Organic Polyhedra and their use as Building Blocks for Highly-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202013839
- Design and synthesis of metal-organic frameworks using metal-organic polyhedra as supermolecular building blocks.
- Authors: Perry JJ 4th, Perman JA, Zaworotko MJ
- Issue date: 2009 May
- A supermolecular building approach for the design and construction of metal-organic frameworks.
- Authors: Guillerm V, Kim D, Eubank JF, Luebke R, Liu X, Adil K, Lah MS, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 21
- Metal-organic macrocycles, metal-organic polyhedra and metal-organic frameworks.
- Authors: Prakash MJ, Lah MS
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 21
- Postsynthetic Covalent and Coordination Functionalization of Rhodium(II)-Based Metal-Organic Polyhedra.
- Authors: Carné-Sánchez A, Albalad J, Grancha T, Imaz I, Juanhuix J, Larpent P, Furukawa S, Maspoch D
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 6
- Stabilizing Metal-Organic Polyhedra (MOP): Issues and Strategies.
- Authors: Mollick S, Fajal S, Mukherjee S, Ghosh SK
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 16