Carr, Michael J
Hall, William W
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1020-01-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666152
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe extensive sequence data generated from SARS-CoV-2 during the 2020 pandemic has facilitated the study of viral genome evolution over a brief period of time. This has highlighted instances of directional mutation pressures exerted on the SARS-CoV-2 genome from host antiviral defense systems. In this brief review we describe three such human defense mechanisms, the apolipoprotein B mRNA editing catalytic polypeptide-like proteins (APOBEC), adenosine deaminase acting on RNA proteins (ADAR), and reactive oxygen species (ROS), and discuss their potential implications on SARS-CoV-2 evolution.
CitationMourier, T., Sadykov, M., Carr, M. J., Gonzalez, G., Hall, W. W., & Pain, A. (2020). Host-directed editing of the SARS-CoV-2 genome. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2020.10.092
SponsorsWe thank all laboratories which have contributed sequences to the GISAID database. This work was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Office of Sponsored Research (OSR). Work in AP’s laboratory is supported by the KAUST faculty baseline fund (BAS/1/1020-01-01) and the R3T initiative of KAUST.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license.
- Evidence for host-dependent RNA editing in the transcriptome of SARS-CoV-2.
- Authors: Di Giorgio S, Martignano F, Torcia MG, Mattiuz G, Conticello SG
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Potential APOBEC-mediated RNA editing of the genomes of SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses and its impact on their longer term evolution.
- Authors: Ratcliff J, Simmonds P
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- The Mutation Profile of SARS-CoV-2 Is Primarily Shaped by the Host Antiviral Defense.
- Authors: Azgari C, Kilinc Z, Turhan B, Circi D, Adebali O
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 2
- Coronavirus genomes carry the signatures of their habitats.
- Authors: Wei Y, Silke JR, Aris P, Xia X
- Issue date: 2020
- Post-transcriptional regulation of LINE-1 retrotransposition by AID/APOBEC and ADAR deaminases.
- Authors: Orecchini E, Frassinelli L, Galardi S, Ciafrè SA, Michienzi A
- Issue date: 2018 Mar