Carr, Michael J
Hall, William W
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1020-01-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666152
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe extensive sequence data generated from SARS-CoV-2 during the 2020 pandemic has facilitated the study of viral genome evolution over a brief period of time. This has highlighted instances of directional mutation pressures exerted on the SARS-CoV-2 genome from host antiviral defense systems. In this brief review we describe three such human defense mechanisms, the apolipoprotein B mRNA editing catalytic polypeptide-like proteins (APOBEC), adenosine deaminase acting on RNA proteins (ADAR), and reactive oxygen species (ROS), and discuss their potential implications on SARS-CoV-2 evolution.
CitationMourier, T., Sadykov, M., Carr, M. J., Gonzalez, G., Hall, W. W., & Pain, A. (2020). Host-directed editing of the SARS-CoV-2 genome. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2020.10.092
SponsorsWe thank all laboratories which have contributed sequences to the GISAID database. This work was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Office of Sponsored Research (OSR). Work in AP’s laboratory is supported by the KAUST faculty baseline fund (BAS/1/1020-01-01) and the R3T initiative of KAUST.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license.
- Rampant C→U Hypermutation in the Genomes of SARS-CoV-2 and Other Coronaviruses: Causes and Consequences for Their Short- and Long-Term Evolutionary Trajectories.
- Authors: Simmonds P
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 24
- Potential APOBEC-mediated RNA editing of the genomes of SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses and its impact on their longer term evolution.
- Authors: Ratcliff J, Simmonds P
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 7
- Coronavirus genomes carry the signatures of their habitats.
- Authors: Wei Y, Silke JR, Aris P, Xia X
- Issue date: 2020
- Host Immune Response Driving SARS-CoV-2 Evolution.
- Authors: Wang R, Hozumi Y, Zheng YH, Yin C, Wei GW
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 27
- Mutational signatures and heterogeneous host response revealed via large-scale characterization of SARS-CoV-2 genomic diversity.
- Authors: Graudenzi A, Maspero D, Angaroni F, Piazza R, Ramazzotti D
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 19