Single-Crystalline All-Oxide α–γ–β Heterostructures for Deep-Ultraviolet Photodetection
Kang, Chun Hong
Liang, Jian Wei
Hedhili, Mohamed N.
Ng, Tien Khee
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Material Science and Engineering
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Photonics Laboratory, Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering Division (CEMSE), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia
Thin Films & Characterization
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1614-01-01
Embargo End Date2021-11-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/666051
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent advancements in gallium oxide (Ga2O3)-based heterostructures have allowed optoelectronic devices to be used extensively in the fields of power electronics and deep-ultraviolet photodetection. While most previous research has involved realizing single-crystalline Ga2O3 layers on native substrates for high conductivity and visible-light transparency, presented and investigated herein is a single-crystalline β-Ga2O3 layer grown on an α-Al2O3 substrate through an interfacial γ-In2O3 layer. The single-crystalline transparent conductive oxide layer made of wafer-scalable γ-In2O3 provides high carrier transport, visible-light transparency, and antioxidation properties that are critical for realizing vertically oriented heterostructures for transparent oxide photonic platforms. Physical characterization based on X-ray diffraction and high-resolution transmission electron microscopy imaging confirms the single-crystalline nature of the grown films and the crystallographic orientation relationships among the monoclinic β-Ga2O3, cubic γ-In2O3, and trigonal α-Al2O3, while the elemental composition and sharp interfaces across the heterostructure are confirmed by Rutherford backscattering spectrometry. Furthermore, the energy-band offsets are determined by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy at the β-Ga2O3/γ-In2O3 interface, elucidating a type-II heterojunction with conduction- and valence-band offsets of 0.16 and 1.38 eV, respectively. Based on the single-crystalline β-Ga2O3/γ-In2O3/α-Al2O3 all-oxide heterostructure, a vertically oriented DUV photodetector is fabricated that exhibits a high photoresponsivity of 94.3 A/W, an external quantum efficiency of 4.6 × 104%, and a specific detectivity of 3.09 × 1012 Jones at 250 nm. The present demonstration lays a strong foundation for and paves the way to future all-oxide-based transparent photonic platforms.
CitationLi, K.-H., Kang, C. H., Min, J.-H., Alfaraj, N., Liang, J.-W., Braic, L., … Ooi, B. S. (2020). Single-Crystalline All-Oxide α–γ–β Heterostructures for Deep-Ultraviolet Photodetection. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. doi:10.1021/acsami.0c15398
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge receipt of KAUST baseline funding (BAS/1/1614-01-01). T.K.N. and B.S.O. gratefully acknowledge funding from the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) grant no. KACST TIC R2-FP-008.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Deep-Ultraviolet Photodetection Using Single-Crystalline β-Ga(2)O(3)/NiO Heterojunctions.
- Authors: Li KH, Alfaraj N, Kang CH, Braic L, Hedhili MN, Guo Z, Ng TK, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 25
- Thermal Conductivity of β-Phase Ga(2)O(3) and (Al(x)Ga(1-)(x))(2)O(3) Heteroepitaxial Thin Films.
- Authors: Song Y, Ranga P, Zhang Y, Feng Z, Huang HL, Santia MD, Badescu SC, Gonzalez-Valle CU, Perez C, Ferri K, Lavelle RM, Snyder DW, Klein BA, Deitz J, Baca AG, Maria JP, Ramos-Alvarado B, Hwang J, Zhao H, Wang X, Krishnamoorthy S, Foley BM, Choi S
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 18
- Low Thermal Budget Heteroepitaxial Gallium Oxide Thin Films Enabled by Atomic Layer Deposition.
- Authors: Rafie Borujeny E, Sendetskyi O, Fleischauer MD, Cadien KC
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 30
- Investigation of Ga(2)O(3)-Based Deep Ultraviolet Photodetectors Using Plasma-Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition System.
- Authors: Chu SY, Shen MX, Yeh TH, Chen CH, Lee CT, Lee HY
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 29
- A Heterostructured Graphene Quantum Dots/β-Ga(2)O(3) Solar-Blind Photodetector with Enhanced Photoresponsivity.
- Authors: Zeng G, Li XX, Li YC, Chen DB, Chen YC, Zhao XF, Chen N, Wang TY, Zhang DW, Lu HL
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 13