MYC as a driver of stochastic chromatin networks: implications for the fitness of cancer cells
Sifakis, Emmanouil G
Kiani, Narsis A
Ronnegren, Anna Lewandowska
Scholz, Barbara A
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Online Publication Date2020-10-13
Print Publication Date2020-11-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/665615
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbstract The relationship between stochastic transcriptional bursts and dynamic 3D chromatin states is not well understood. Using an innovated, ultra-sensitive technique, we address here enigmatic features underlying the communications between MYC and its enhancers in relation to the transcriptional process. MYC thus interacts with its flanking enhancers in a mutually exclusive manner documenting that enhancer hubs impinging on MYC detected in large cell populations likely do not exist in single cells. Dynamic encounters with pathologically activated enhancers responsive to a range of environmental cues, involved <10% of active MYC alleles at any given time in colon cancer cells. Being the most central node of the chromatin network, MYC itself likely drives its communications with flanking enhancers, rather than vice versa. We submit that these features underlie an acquired ability of MYC to become dynamically activated in response to a diverse range of environmental cues encountered by the cell during the neoplastic process.
CitationSumida, N., Sifakis, E. G., Kiani, N. A., Ronnegren, A. L., Scholz, B. A., Vestlund, J., … Ohlsson, R. (2020). MYC as a driver of stochastic chromatin networks: implications for the fitness of cancer cells. Nucleic Acids Research. doi:10.1093/nar/gkaa817
SponsorsThe authors would like to acknowledge initial assistance from Drs Alejandro Woodbridge and Peter J Svensson as well as support from Science for Life Laboratory, the National Genomics Infrastructure, NGI, and Uppmax for providing assistance in massive parallel sequencing and computational infrastructure as well as the extensive data sets from ENCODE.
Swedish Research Council [VR 2017-04670 and VR 2016-03108]; Swedish Childhood Cancer Fund [PR2017-0132]; Swedish Cancer Society [CAN2017/515, CAN 2016/708]; Lundberg Foundation [2018-0138]; Karolinska Institutet; Novo Nordisk Foundation [NNF16OC0021512]; Cancer Society in Stockholm (2018–2021 and 2019–2021); KA Wallenberg Foundation [KAW 2017.0077]. Funding for open access charge: KA Wallenberg Foundation.
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
JournalNucleic Acids Research
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License which permits non-commercial re-use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A beta-catenin/TCF-coordinated chromatin loop at MYC integrates 5' and 3' Wnt responsive enhancers.
- Authors: Yochum GS, Sherrick CM, Macpartlin M, Goodman RH
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 5
- GATA3-Controlled Nucleosome Eviction Drives <i>MYC</i> Enhancer Activity in T-cell Development and Leukemia.
- Authors: Belver L, Yang AY, Albero R, Herranz D, Brundu FG, Quinn SA, Pérez-Durán P, Álvarez S, Gianni F, Rashkovan M, Gurung D, Rocha PP, Raviram R, Reglero C, Cortés JR, Cooke AJ, Wendorff AA, Cordó V, Meijerink JP, Rabadan R, Ferrando AA
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- An overview of MYC and its interactome.
- Authors: Conacci-Sorrell M, McFerrin L, Eisenman RN
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1
- Oncogenic Notch Promotes Long-Range Regulatory Interactions within Hyperconnected 3D Cliques.
- Authors: Petrovic J, Zhou Y, Fasolino M, Goldman N, Schwartz GW, Mumbach MR, Nguyen SC, Rome KS, Sela Y, Zapataro Z, Blacklow SC, Kruhlak MJ, Shi J, Aster JC, Joyce EF, Little SC, Vahedi G, Pear WS, Faryabi RB
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 21
- BPTF is required for c-MYC transcriptional activity and in vivo tumorigenesis.
- Authors: Richart L, Carrillo-de Santa Pau E, Río-Machín A, de Andrés MP, Cigudosa JC, Lobo VJS, Real FX
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 5