Pan-regional marine benthic cryptobiome biodiversity patterns revealed by metabarcoding Autonomous Reef Monitoring Structures.
AuthorsPearman, John K.
Watson, J R
Cahill, A E
Uyarra, M C
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Red Sea Research Center Thuwal 23955-6900 Saudi Arabia
Embargo End Date2021-10-16
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/665604
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAutonomous Reef Monitoring Structures (ARMS) have been applied worldwide to characterize the critical yet frequently overlooked biodiversity patterns of marine benthic organisms. In order to disentangle the relevance of environmental factors in benthic patterns, here, through standardized metabarcoding protocols, we analyze sessile and mobile (
CitationPearman, J. K., Chust, G., Aylagas, E., Villarino, E., Watson, J. R., Chenuil, A., … Carvalho, S. (2020). Pan-regional marine benthic cryptobiome biodiversity patterns revealed by metabarcoding Autonomous Reef Monitoring Structures. Molecular Ecology. doi:10.1111/mec.15692
SponsorsThis manuscript is a result of the DEVOTES (DEVelopment Of Innovative Tools for understanding marine biodiversity and assessing good Environmental Status) project, funded by the European Union under the 7th Framework Programme, “The Ocean of Tomorrow” Theme (grant agreement no. 308392), www.devotes-project.eu. S Carvalho and JK Pearman were funded through the Saudi Aramco-KAUST Center for Marine Environmental Observations (SAKMEO). MC Uyarra was partially funded through the Spanish Programme for Talen and Employability in R + D + I “Torres Quevedo”. We would also like to thank the editor Prof. Creer and three anonymous reviewers for the time and effort they dedicated to reviewing the manuscript.
- Beyond the visual: using metabarcoding to characterize the hidden reef cryptobiome.
- Authors: Carvalho S, Aylagas E, Villalobos R, Kattan Y, Berumen M, Pearman JK
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 13
- A comparative analysis of metabarcoding and morphology-based identification of benthic communities across different regional seas.
- Authors: Cahill AE, Pearman JK, Borja A, Carugati L, Carvalho S, Danovaro R, Dashfield S, David R, Féral JP, Olenin S, Šiaulys A, Somerfield PJ, Trayanova A, Uyarra MC, Chenuil A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Please mind the gap - Visual census and cryptic biodiversity assessment at central Red Sea coral reefs.
- Authors: Pearman JK, Anlauf H, Irigoien X, Carvalho S
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Cross-shelf investigation of coral reef cryptic benthic organisms reveals diversity patterns of the hidden majority.
- Authors: Pearman JK, Leray M, Villalobos R, Machida RJ, Berumen ML, Knowlton N, Carvalho S
- Issue date: 2018 May 24
- Deep COI sequencing of standardized benthic samples unveils overlooked diversity of Jordanian coral reefs in the northern Red Sea.
- Authors: Al-Rshaidat MM, Snider A, Rosebraugh S, Devine AM, Devine TD, Plaisance L, Knowlton N, Leray M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep