Polyurethanes from Direct Organocatalytic Copolymerization of p-Tosyl Isocyanate with Epoxides.
KAUST DepartmentAcademic Affairs
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Office of the VP
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Polymer Synthesis Laboratory
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1374-01-01
Online Publication Date2020-11-17
Print Publication Date2021-01-18
Embargo End Date2021-09-29
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/665550
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe direct copolymerization of p -tosyl isocyanate (TSI) with epoxides, initiated by onium salts in the presence of trialkylborane, to produce polyurethanes is reported. The rate of copolymerization and the (regio)selectivity were investigated in relation to the trialkylborane and initiator used. Under optimized conditions such copolymerizations have been successfully performed for a wide range of epoxides, including ethylene oxide, propylene oxide, 1-octene oxide, cyclohexene oxide, and allyl glycidyl ether. These copolymerizations afford a new category of polyurethanes, clear of side products such as cyclic oxazolidinone, isocyanurate, and poly(isocyanate) linkages. The experimental conditions used in this work are compatible with those for the organocatalytic (co)polymerization of other oxygenated monomers and CO 2 , holding the potential for their terpolymerization with p -tosyl isocyanate and the development of new materials with unprecedented properties.
CitationJia, M., Hadjichristidis, N., Gnanou, Y., & Feng, X. (2020). Polyurethanes from Direct Organocatalytic Copolymerization of p-Tosyl Isocyanate with Epoxides. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202011902
SponsorsThis research work is supported by KAUST under baseline funding (BAS/1/1374-01-01).
- All-Polycarbonate Thermoplastic Elastomers Based on Triblock Copolymers Derived from Triethylborane-Mediated Sequential Copolymerization of CO<sub>2</sub> with Various Epoxides.
- Authors: Jia M, Zhang D, de Kort GW, Wilsens CHRM, Rastogi S, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 14
- Monomodal Ultrahigh-Molar-Mass Polycarbonate Homopolymers and Diblock Copolymers by Anionic Copolymerization of Epoxides with CO<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Jia M, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 17
- CO2 copolymers from epoxides: catalyst activity, product selectivity, and stereochemistry control.
- Authors: Lu XB, Ren WM, Wu GP
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 16
- Reactivity ratios, and mechanistic insight for anionic ring-opening copolymerization of epoxides.
- Authors: Lee BF, Wolffs M, Delaney KT, Sprafke JK, Leibfarth FA, Hawker CJ, Lynd NA
- Issue date: 2012 May 8
- Direct access to poly(glycidyl azide) and its copolymers through anionic (co-)polymerization of glycidyl azide.
- Authors: Boopathi SK, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 17