A Polymorphic Azobenzene Cage for Energy Efficient and Highly Selective p-Xylene Separation.
Alimi, Lukman Olawale
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Online Publication Date2020-10-02
Print Publication Date2020-11-23
Embargo End Date2021-09-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/665034
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDeveloping the competency of molecular sorbents for energy-saving applications, such as C8 separations, requires efficient, stable, scalable and easily recyclable materials that can readily transition to commercial implementation. Here, we report an azobenzene-based cage for the selective separation of p -xylene isomer across a range of C8 isomers in both vapor and liquid states with selectivity that is higher than the reported all-organic sorbents. Interestingly, the crystal structure shows non-porous cages that are separated by p- xylene molecules through selective CH… p interactions between the azo bonds and the methyl hydrogens of the xylene molecules. This cage is stable in solution and can be regenerated directly under vacuum to be used in multiple cycles. We envisage that this work will promote the investigation of the azo bond as well as guest induced crystal to crystal phase transition in non-porous organic solids for pivotal energy intensive separations.
CitationMoosa, B., Alimi, L., Shkurenko, A., Fakim, A., Bhatt, P., Zhang, G., … Khashab, N. (2020). A Polymorphic Azobenzene Cage for Energy Efficient and Highly Selective p-Xylene Separation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202007782
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
Moosa, Basem, Alimi, Lukman O., Shkurenko, Aleksander, Fakim, Aliyah, Bhatt, Prashant M., Zhang, Gengwu, Eddaoudi, Mohamed, & Khashab, Niveen M. (2020). CCDC 2005983: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/CCDC.CSD.CC25BD42. DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc25bd42 HANDLE: 10754/666369
Moosa, Basem, Alimi, Lukman O., Shkurenko, Aleksander, Fakim, Aliyah, Bhatt, Prashant M., Zhang, Gengwu, Eddaoudi, Mohamed, & Khashab, Niveen M. (2020). CCDC 2005984: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/CCDC.CSD.CC25BD53. DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc25bd53 HANDLE: 10754/666370
- Benchmark selectivity <i>p</i>-xylene separation by a non-porous molecular solid through liquid or vapor extraction.
- Authors: Sun N, Wang SQ, Zou R, Cui WG, Zhang A, Zhang T, Li Q, Zhuang ZZ, Zhang YH, Xu J, Zaworotko MJ, Bu XH
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 14
- Xylene Recognition in Flexible Porous Coordination Polymer by Guest-Dependent Structural Transition.
- Authors: Wang P, Kajiwara T, Otake KI, Yao MS, Ashitani H, Kubota Y, Kitagawa S
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 4
- Intrinsically Porous Molecular Materials (IPMs) for Natural Gas and Benzene Derivatives Separations.
- Authors: Zhang G, Hua B, Dey A, Ghosh M, Moosa BA, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 5
- Metal-Organic Frameworks for Highly Selective Separation of Xylene Isomers and Single-Crystal X-ray Study of Aromatic Guest-Host Inclusion Compounds.
- Authors: Sapianik AA, Dudko ER, Kovalenko KA, Barsukova MO, Samsonenko DG, Dybtsev DN, Fedin VP
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 31
- A homochiral porous organic cage with large cavity and pore windows for the efficient gas chromatography separation of enantiomers and positional isomers.
- Authors: Zhang JH, Xie SM, Wang BJ, He PG, Yuan LM
- Issue date: 2018 Mar