A genetic barcode of SARS-CoV-2 for monitoring global distribution of different clades during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mutair, Abbas Al
Carr, Michael J
Hall, William W
Arold, Stefan T.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Pathogen Genomics Laboratory
Structural Biology and Engineering
Online Publication Date2020-08-22
Print Publication Date2020-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664853
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe SARS-CoV-2 pathogen has established endemicity in humans. This necessitates the development of rapid genetic surveillance methodologies to serve as an adjunct with existing comprehensive, albeit though slower, genome sequencing-driven approaches. A total of 21,789 complete genomes were downloaded from GISAID on May 28, 2020 for analyses. We have defined the major clades and subclades of circulating SARS-CoV-2 genomes. A rapid sequencing-based genotyping protocol was developed and tested on SARS-CoV-2-positive RNA samples by next-generation sequencing. We describe 11 major mutations which defined five major clades (G614, S84, V251, I378 and D392) of globally circulating viral populations. The clades can specifically identify using an 11-nucleotide genetic barcode. An analysis of amino acid variation in SARS-CoV-2 proteins provided evidence of substitution events in the viral proteins involved in both host entry and genome replication. Globally circulating SARS-CoV-2 genomes could be classified into 5 major clades based on mutational profiles defined by an 11-nucleotide barcode. We have successfully developed a multiplexed sequencing-based, rapid genotyping protocol for high-throughput classification of major clade types of SARS-CoV-2 in clinical samples. This barcoding strategy will be required to monitor decreases in genetic diversity as treatment and vaccine approaches become widely available.
CitationGuan, Q., Sadykov, M., Mfarrej, S., Hala, S., Naeem, R., Nugmanova, R., … Pain, A. (2020). A genetic barcode of SARS-CoV-2 for monitoring global distribution of different clades during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2020.08.052
SponsorsWe are deeply grateful to all laboratories contributing genomic data and metadata to GISAID and nextstrain.org databases. We thank KAUST Rapid Research Response Team (R3T) for supporting our research. We thank Olga Douvropoulou for her support during the work. We also thank Richard Culleton (Nagasaki University, Japan) and Gabo Gonzalez (UCD, Ireland) for their critical comments on the manuscript draft.
JournalInternational journal of infectious diseases : IJID : official publication of the International Society for Infectious Diseases
- CoronaHiT: high-throughput sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 genomes.
- Authors: Baker DJ, Aydin A, Le-Viet T, Kay GL, Rudder S, de Oliveira Martins L, Tedim AP, Kolyva A, Diaz M, Alikhan NF, Meadows L, Bell A, Gutierrez AV, Trotter AJ, Thomson NM, Gilroy R, Griffith L, Adriaenssens EM, Stanley R, Charles IG, Elumogo N, Wain J, Prakash R, Meader E, Mather AE, Webber MA, Dervisevic S, Page AJ, O'Grady J
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 9
- Molecular analysis of several in-house rRT-PCR protocols for SARS-CoV-2 detection in the context of genetic variability of the virus in Colombia.
- Authors: Álvarez-Díaz DA, Franco-Muñoz C, Laiton-Donato K, Usme-Ciro JA, Franco-Sierra ND, Flórez-Sánchez AC, Gómez-Rangel S, Rodríguez-Calderon LD, Barbosa-Ramirez J, Ospitia-Baez E, Walteros DM, Ospina-Martinez ML, Mercado-Reyes M
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Comprehensive analysis of genomic diversity of SARS-CoV-2 in different geographic regions of India: an endeavour to classify Indian SARS-CoV-2 strains on the basis of co-existing mutations.
- Authors: Sarkar R, Mitra S, Chandra P, Saha P, Banerjee A, Dutta S, Chawla-Sarkar M
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- A Founder Effect Led Early SARS-CoV-2 Transmission in Spain.
- Authors: Díez-Fuertes F, Iglesias-Caballero M, García-Pérez J, Monzón S, Jiménez P, Varona S, Cuesta I, Zaballos Á, Jiménez M, Checa L, Pozo F, Pérez-Olmeda M, Thomson MM, Alcamí J, Casas I
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 13
- A doubt of multiple introduction of SARS-CoV-2 in Italy: A preliminary overview.
- Authors: Giovanetti M, Angeletti S, Benvenuto D, Ciccozzi M
- Issue date: 2020 Sep