Miscibility-Controlled Phase Separation in Double-Cable Conjugated Polymers for Single-Component Organic Solar Cells with Efficiencies over 8.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Online Publication Date2020-09-23
Print Publication Date2020-11-23
Embargo End Date2021-08-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664776
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this work, a record power conversion efficiency of 8.40% was obtained in single-component organic solar cells (SCOSCs) based on double-cable conjugated polymers. This is realized based on the finding that exciton separation plays the same important role as charge transport in SCOSCs. Herein, we designed two double-cable conjugated polymers with almost the identical conjugated backbones and electron-withdrawing side units, but the extra chlorine (Cl) atoms had different positions on the conjugated backbones. We found that, when Cl atoms were positioned at the main chains, the polymer formed the twist backbones, enabling better miscibility with the naphthalene diimide side units. This could improve the interface contact between conjugated backbones and side units, resulting in efficient conversion of excitons into free charges. These observations were confirmed by systematical studies via several advanced measurements. These findings reveal the importance of charge generation process in SCOSCs and also suggest a strategy to improve this process, that is, controlling the miscibility between conjugated backbones and aromatic side units in double-cable conjugated polymers.
CitationJiang, X., Yang, J., Karuthedath, S., Li, J., Lai, W., Li, C., … Li, W. (2020). Miscibility-Controlled Phase Separation in Double-Cable Conjugated Polymers for Single-Component Organic Solar Cells with Efficiencies over 8%. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202009272
- Double-Cable Conjugated Polymers with Pendant Rylene Diimides for Single-Component Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Liang S, Jiang X, Xiao C, Li C, Chen Q, Li W
- Issue date: 2021 May 4
- Crystalline Cooperativity of Donor and Acceptor Segments in Double-Cable Conjugated Polymers toward Efficient Single-Component Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Li C, Wu X, Sui X, Wu H, Wang C, Feng G, Wu Y, Liu F, Liu X, Tang Z, Li W
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 21
- Revealing the Side-Chain Dependent Ordering Transition of Highly-Crystalline Double-Cable Conjugated Polymers.
- Authors: Feng G, Tan W, Karuthedath S, Li C, Jiao X, Liu ACY, Venugopal H, Tang Z, Ye L, Laquai F, McNeill CR, Li W
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 21
- "Double-Cable" Conjugated Polymers with Linear Backbone toward High Quantum Efficiencies in Single-Component Polymer Solar Cells.
- Authors: Feng G, Li J, Colberts FJM, Li M, Zhang J, Yang F, Jin Y, Zhang F, Janssen RAJ, Li C, Li W
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 27
- Crystalline Conjugated Polymers for Organic Solar Cells: From Donor, Acceptor to Single-Component.
- Authors: Xia D, Li C, Li W
- Issue date: 2019 Jun