Predictive modelling of structure formation in semiconductor films produced by meniscus-guided coating.
AuthorsMichels, Jasper J
Beaujuge, Pierre M
Embargo End Date2021-02-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664596
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMeniscus-guided coating methods, such as zone casting, dip coating and solution shearing, are scalable laboratory models for large-area solution coating of functional materials for thin-film electronics. Unfortunately, the general lack of understanding of how the coating parameters affect the dry-film morphology upholds trial-and-error experimentation and delays lab-to-fab translation. We present herein a model that predicts dry-film morphologies produced by meniscus-guided coating of a crystallizing solute. Our model reveals how the interplay between coating velocity and evaporation rate determines the crystalline domain size, shape anisotropy and regularity. If coating is fast, evaporation drives the system quickly past supersaturation, giving isotropic domain structures. If coating is slow, depletion due to crystallization stretches domains in the coating direction. The predicted morphologies have been experimentally confirmed by zone-casting experiments of the organic semiconductor 4-tolyl-bithiophenyl-diketopyrrolopyrrole. Although here we considered a small molecular solute, our model can be applied broadly to polymers and organic-inorganic hybrids such as perovskites.
CitationMichels, J. J., Zhang, K., Wucher, P., Beaujuge, P. M., Pisula, W., & Marszalek, T. (2020). Predictive modelling of structure formation in semiconductor films produced by meniscus-guided coating. Nature Materials. doi:10.1038/s41563-020-0760-2
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge P. W. M. Blom for stimulating discussions. K.Z. acknowledges the China Scholarship Council (CSC) for financial support. T.M. acknowledges the Foundation for Polish Science financed by the European Union under the European Regional Development Fund (POIR.04.04.00-00-3ED8/17-01).
- Predictive Model for the Meniscus-Guided Coating of High-Quality Organic Single-Crystalline Thin Films.
- Authors: Janneck R, Vercesi F, Heremans P, Genoe J, Rolin C
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Large-scale patterning of π-conjugated materials by meniscus guided coating methods.
- Authors: Richard M, Al-Ajaji A, Ren S, Foti A, Tran J, Frigoli M, Gusarov B, Bonnassieux Y, Caurel EG, Bulkin P, Ossikovski R, Yassar A
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Understanding Film-To-Stripe Transition of Conjugated Polymers Driven by Meniscus Instability.
- Authors: Qu G, Kwok JJ, Mohammadi E, Zhang F, Diao Y
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 28
- Ultrathin film deposition by liquid CO2 free meniscus coating-uniformity and morphology.
- Authors: Kim J, Novick BJ, Desimone JM, Carbonell RG
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 17
- Solution coating of large-area organic semiconductor thin films with aligned single-crystalline domains.
- Authors: Diao Y, Tee BC, Giri G, Xu J, Kim DH, Becerril HA, Stoltenberg RM, Lee TH, Xue G, Mannsfeld SC, Bao Z
- Issue date: 2013 Jul