Removal of Organic Micropollutants from Water by Macrocycle-Containing Covalent Polymer Networks.
AuthorsSessler, Jonathan L
Page, Zachariah A
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2019-CRG-4032
Embargo End Date2021-07-28
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664486
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccess to clean drinking water is a recognized societal need that touches on the health and livelihood of millions of people worldwide. This is providing an incentive to develop new water-treatment technologies. Traditional technologies, while widespread, are usually inefficient at removing organic pollutants from sewage or so-called grey water. Macrocycle-containing covalent polymer networks have begun to attract attention in the context of water treatment owing to the inherent stability provided by the polymer backbones and their ability to capture micropollutant guests as the result of tunable macrocycle-based host-guest interactions. In this minireview, we summarize recent advances (from 2016 to mid-2020) involving the removal of organic micropollutants from water using macrocycle-containing covalent polymer networks. An overview of future challenges within this subfield is also provided.
CitationSessler, J. L., Ji, X., Wang, H., Wang, H., Zhao, T., Page, Z. A., & Khashab, N. M. (2020). Removal of Organic Micropollutants from Water by Macrocycle-Containing Covalent Polymer Networks. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202009113
SponsorsThis research was partially supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
- Rapid removal of organic micropollutants from water by a porous β-cyclodextrin polymer.
- Authors: Alsbaiee A, Smith BJ, Xiao L, Ling Y, Helbling DE, Dichtel WR
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 14
- Micropollutant sorption to membrane polymers: a review of mechanisms for estrogens.
- Authors: Schäfer AI, Akanyeti I, Semião AJ
- Issue date: 2011 May 11
- Functional Supramolecular Polymeric Networks: The Marriage of Covalent Polymers and Macrocycle-Based Host-Guest Interactions.
- Authors: Xia D, Wang P, Ji X, Khashab NM, Sessler JL, Huang F
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 8
- A crosslinked β-cyclodextrin polymer used for rapid removal of a broad-spectrum of organic micropollutants from water.
- Authors: Wang Z, Zhang P, Hu F, Zhao Y, Zhu L
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 1
- Effective and Rapid Removal of Polar Organic Micropollutants from Water by Amide Naphthotube-Crosslinked Polymers.
- Authors: Yang LP, Ke H, Yao H, Jiang W
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 20