Removal of Organic Micropollutants from Water by Macrocycle-Containing Covalent Polymer Networks.
AuthorsSessler, Jonathan L
Page, Zachariah A
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2019-CRG-4032
Embargo End Date2021-07-28
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664486
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccess to clean drinking water is a recognized societal need that touches on the health and livelihood of millions of people worldwide. This is providing an incentive to develop new water-treatment technologies. Traditional technologies, while widespread, are usually inefficient at removing organic pollutants from sewage or so-called grey water. Macrocycle-containing covalent polymer networks have begun to attract attention in the context of water treatment owing to the inherent stability provided by the polymer backbones and their ability to capture micropollutant guests as the result of tunable macrocycle-based host-guest interactions. In this minireview, we summarize recent advances (from 2016 to mid-2020) involving the removal of organic micropollutants from water using macrocycle-containing covalent polymer networks. An overview of future challenges within this subfield is also provided.
CitationSessler, J. L., Ji, X., Wang, H., Wang, H., Zhao, T., Page, Z. A., & Khashab, N. M. (2020). Removal of Organic Micropollutants from Water by Macrocycle-Containing Covalent Polymer Networks. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. doi:10.1002/anie.202009113
SponsorsThis research was partially supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
- Functional Supramolecular Polymeric Networks: The Marriage of Covalent Polymers and Macrocycle-Based Host-Guest Interactions.
- Authors: Xia D, Wang P, Ji X, Khashab NM, Sessler JL, Huang F
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 8
- Rapid removal of organic micropollutants from water by a porous β-cyclodextrin polymer.
- Authors: Alsbaiee A, Smith BJ, Xiao L, Ling Y, Helbling DE, Dichtel WR
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 14
- Efficient Capturing of Polycyclic Aromatic Micropollutants From Water Using Physically Crosslinked DNA Nanoparticles.
- Authors: Atchimnaidu S, Thelu HVP, Perumal D, Harikrishnan KS, Varghese R
- Issue date: 2020
- Supramolecular polymers constructed from macrocycle-based host-guest molecular recognition motifs.
- Authors: Dong S, Zheng B, Wang F, Huang F
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- Polymerized Molecular Receptors as Adsorbents to Remove Micropollutants from Water.
- Authors: Klemes MJ, Skala LP, Ateia M, Trang B, Helbling DE, Dichtel WR
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 20