Recycling Borate Complex for Synthesis of Polycarbonate Polyols: Towards an Environmentally Friendly and Cost-Effective Process.
Chidara, Vamshi Krishna
KAUST DepartmentAcademic Affairs
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
King Abdullah University of Science and TechnologyPSE division SAUDI ARABIA
Office of the VP
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Polymer Synthesis Laboratory
KAUST Grant NumberBAS/1/1374-01-01
Online Publication Date2020-07-30
Print Publication Date2020-09-18
Embargo End Date2021-07-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664388
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this investigation, we unveil a metal-free process that warrants the synthesis of poly(propylene carbonate) (PPC) diols/polyols by copolymerization of carbon dioxide (CO 2 ) with propylene epoxide (PO) under environmentally-friendly, and cost-effective conditions; this process implies the recycling of triethylborane (TEB) and of ammonium salts that both enter in the composition of the initiators used to copolymerize CO 2 and PO. In complement to the above approach, a polymeric support poly(diallyl dimethylammonium chloride) (PDADMAC), was synthesized and modified to carry ammonium carboxylate salts along its chain; the prepared polymeric initiator was utilized to copolymerize CO 2 with PO under heterogeneous conditions. Not only were the polymerization results similar to the samples obtained under homogeneous conditions, but the polymer substrate could easily be recovered by simple filtration. The integrity of the polycarbonate diols/polyols, the recycling process were followed by 1 H, 11 B NMR, GPC, and MALDI-TOF.
CitationGNANOU, Y., Patil, N., Bhoopathi, S., Chidara, V., Hadjichristidis, N., & Feng, X. (2020). Recycling Borate Complex for Synthesis of Polycarbonate Polyols: Towards an Environmentally Friendly and Cost-Effective Process. ChemSusChem. doi:10.1002/cssc.202001395
SponsorsThis research work is supported by KAUST under baseline funding (BAS/1/1374-01-01).
- Controlled synthesis of multi-arm star polyether-polycarbonate polyols based on propylene oxide and CO2.
- Authors: Hilf J, Schulze P, Seiwert J, Frey H
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Application of an integrated matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight, electrospray ionization mass spectrometry and tandem mass spectrometry approach to characterizing complex polyol mixtures.
- Authors: Chen R, Tseng AM, Uhing M, Li L
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- A one-pot synthesis of a triblock copolymer from propylene oxide/carbon dioxide and lactide: intermediacy of polyol initiators.
- Authors: Darensbourg DJ, Wu GP
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 27
- All-Polycarbonate Thermoplastic Elastomers Based on Triblock Copolymers Derived from Triethylborane-Mediated Sequential Copolymerization of CO<sub>2</sub> with Various Epoxides.
- Authors: Jia M, Zhang D, de Kort GW, Wilsens CHRM, Rastogi S, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 14
- Catalytic Chain Transfer Copolymerization of Propylene Oxide and CO<sub>2</sub> using Zinc Glutarate Catalyst.
- Authors: Marbach J, Höfer T, Bornholdt N, Luinstra GA
- Issue date: 2019 Jul