Fast, wafer-scale growth of a nanometer-thick graphite film on Ni foil and its structural analysis.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2020-09-16
Print Publication Date2020-11-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664334
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe growth of graphite on polycrystalline Ni by chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and the microstructural relation of the graphitic films and the metallic substrate continues to puzzle the scientific community. Here, we report the wafer-scale growth of a nanometer-thick graphite film (~100 nm, NGF) on Ni foil via a fast-thermal CVD approach (5 min growth). Moreover, we shed light on how localized thickness variations of the NGF relate to the Ni surface topography and grain characteristics. While on a macro-scale (mm2), the NGF film looks uniform - with a few hundreds of highly ordered graphene layers (d0002 = 0.335 nm), when studied at the micro- and nano-scales, few-layer graphene sections can be identified. These are present at a density of 0.1-3% areas in 100 µm2, can be as thin as two layers, and follow an epitaxial relation with the  fcc-Ni planes. Throughout the 50 cm2 NGF, the sharp graphite/substrate interfaces are either composed of a couple of NiCx layers or a graphene layer. Moreover, the NGF was successfully transferred on SiO2/Si substrate by a wet chemical etching method. The as-produced NGFs could complement or offer an alternative to the mm-thick films produced from natural graphite flakes or polymer sheets.
CitationDeokar, G., Genovese, A., & Costa, P. M. F. J. (2020). Fast, wafer-scale growth of a nanometer-thick graphite film on Ni foil and its structural analysis. Nanotechnology. doi:10.1088/1361-6528/aba712
- Growth of Single-Layer and Multilayer Graphene on Cu/Ni Alloy Substrates.
- Authors: Huang M, Ruoff RS
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 21
- Semi-transparent graphite films growth on Ni and their double-sided polymer-free transfer.
- Authors: Deokar G, Genovese A, Surya SG, Long C, Salama KN, Costa PMFJ
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 7
- Few-layer graphene direct deposition on Ni and Cu foil by cold-wall chemical vapor deposition.
- Authors: Chang QH, Guo GL, Wang T, Ji LC, Huang L, Ling B, Yang HF
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Engineering polycrystalline Ni films to improve thickness uniformity of the chemical-vapor-deposition-grown graphene films.
- Authors: Thiele S, Reina A, Healey P, Kedzierski J, Wyatt P, Hsu PL, Keast C, Schaefer J, Kong J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 8
- Graphene growth at the interface between Ni catalyst layer and SiO2/Si substrate.
- Authors: Lee JH, Song KW, Park MH, Kim HK, Yang CW
- Issue date: 2011 Jul