Determination of absolute photoionization cross-sections of some aromatic hydrocarbons.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Kinetics & Laser Sensors Laboratory
Clean Combustion Research Center
Mechanical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2020-08-27
Print Publication Date2020-11-15
Embargo End Date2021-07-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/664286
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRATIONALE:Aromatic hydrocarbons play an important role in the formation and growth of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) and soot particles. Measurements of their absolute photoionization cross-sections (PICSs), that benefits the quantitative investigation of mass spectrometry, are still lacking, however. METHODS:PICSs of some aromatic hydrocarbons were measured with tunable synchrotron vacuum ultraviolet photoionization mass spectrometry (SVUV-PIMS). Nitric oxide and benzene were chosen as standard references for PICS calibration, since their photoionization cross-sections are well-known in literature. Binary liquid mixtures of the investigated molecules and their specific solvents were used in the measurements. RESULTS:The investigated aromatics include naphthalene, phenanthrene, 1-methylnaphthalene, indene, 2-/3-/4-methylphenylacetylene, 2-methylindene, diphenylacetylene, 1-/2-ethynylnaphthalene and acenaphthylene. Photo-induced fragments from the molecules were also observed with increasing photon energy. CONCLUSIONS:Based on our measurements and literature data, PICSs of most aromatic molecules have very similar values beyond their ionization energies. However, molecules that contain phenylacetylene structure have PICSs higher than other aromatics.
CitationJin, H., Yang, J., & Farooq, A. (2020). Determination of absolute photoionization cross-sections of some aromatic hydrocarbons. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. doi:10.1002/rcm.8899
- Determination of absolute photoionization cross-sections of aromatics and aromatic derivatives.
- Authors: Zhou Z, Xie M, Wang Z, Qi F
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- An experimental study of indene pyrolysis with synchrotron vacuum ultraviolet photoionization mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Jin H, Yang J, Xing L, Hao J, Zhang Y, Cao C, Pan Y, Farooq A
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 6
- Probing solvation and reactivity in ionized polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-water clusters with photoionization mass spectrometry and electronic structure calculations.
- Authors: Xu B, Stein T, Ablikim U, Jiang L, Hendrix J, Head-Gordon M, Ahmed M
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 18
- Determination of photoionization cross-sections of different organic molecules using gas chromatography coupled to single-photon ionization (SPI) time-of-flight mass spectrometry (TOF-MS) with an electron-beam-pumped rare gas excimer light source (EBEL): influence of molecular structure and analytical implications.
- Authors: Eschner MS, Zimmermann R
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Recent applications of synchrotron VUV photoionization mass spectrometry: insight into combustion chemistry.
- Authors: Li Y, Qi F
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 19