Early-Stage Growth Mechanism and Synthesis Conditions-Dependent Morphology of Nanocrystalline Bi Films Electrodeposited from Perchlorate Electrolyte.
Michels, Dominik L.
KAUST DepartmentVisual Computing Center (VCC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computer Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/663966
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBi nanocrystalline films were formed from perchlorate electrolyte (PE) on Cu substrate via electrochemical deposition with different duration and current densities. The microstructural, morphological properties, and elemental composition were studied using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and energy-dispersive X-ray microanalysis (EDX). The optimal range of current densities for Bi electrodeposition in PE using polarization measurements was demonstrated. For the first time, it was shown and explained why, with a deposition duration of 1 s, co-deposition of Pb and Bi occurs. The correlation between synthesis conditions and chemical composition and microstructure for Bi films was discussed. The analysis of the microstructure evolution revealed the changing mechanism of the films' growth from pillar-like (for Pb-rich phase) to layered granular form (for Bi) with deposition duration rising. This abnormal behavior is explained by the appearance of a strong Bi growth texture and coalescence effects. The investigations of porosity showed that Bi films have a closely-packed microstructure. The main stages and the growth mechanism of Bi films in the galvanostatic regime in PE with a deposition duration of 1-30 s are proposed.
CitationTishkevich, D., Grabchikov, S., Zubar, T., Vasin, D., Trukhanov, S., Vorobjova, A., … Trukhanov, A. (2020). Early-Stage Growth Mechanism and Synthesis Conditions-Dependent Morphology of Nanocrystalline Bi Films Electrodeposited from Perchlorate Electrolyte. Nanomaterials, 10(6), 1245. doi:10.3390/nano10061245
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license.
- The Effect of a Substrate Material on Composition Gradients of Fe-Ni Films obtained by Electrodeposition.
- Authors: Białostocka AM, Klekotka U, Kalska-Szostko B
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 23
- Direct electrochemical synthesis of reduced graphene oxide (rGO)/copper composite films and their electrical/electroactive properties.
- Authors: Xie G, Forslund M, Pan J
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Morphology selection for cupric oxide thin films by electrodeposition.
- Authors: Dhanasekaran V, Mahalingam T, Chandramohan R
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Compositional analysis of electrodeposited bismuth telluride thermoelectric thin films using combined electrochemical quartz crystal microgravimetry--stripping voltammetry.
- Authors: Ham S, Jeon S, Lee U, Park M, Paeng KJ, Myung N, Rajeshwar K
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 1
- Morphological stabilization and KPZ scaling by electrochemically induced co-deposition of nanostructured NiW alloy films.
- Authors: Orrillo PA, Santalla SN, Cuerno R, Vázquez L, Ribotta SB, Gassa LM, Mompean FJ, Salvarezza RC, Vela ME
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 21